TIP: Vehicle Work Extends Into Diff Pay Period

Tips Collected
fortknoxx
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

TIP: Vehicle Work Extends Into Diff Pay Period

Post by fortknoxx »

Think about splitting the tech pay. ok, say to r&r a head is 10 hrs. tech takes head off today wed, but doesnt get the head back till next tues. he needs to be paid for work already done this week. would this work for you? you might have to convert this to an invoice for the pay report. our guys get paid by the hour. we do not use pay reports
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)
Gone but not forgotten...Camper Bob's

609-760-7079 Cell
asample
300 Club: Superstar Contributor
300 Club: Superstar Contributor

Re: Vehicle Work Extends Into Diff Pay Period

Post by asample »

On the occassion of a long carry over on a job we estimate how many hours are involved and basically include a payroll advance in his paycheck and on the next payroll make sure all the deductions are handled properly. The tech is well informed of the way it is done.

My wife being the paymaster helps this situation a lot.

Arlin
fortknoxx

Post by fortknoxx »

what the customer will be billed at the 10 entered in the top part of the labor item. like i said you will have to tinker with the tech lines, to make sure he's not paid twice. once the job is done you can nix the notes in the second box, or leave them on for ref. do you pay your tech actual time or book time?
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)
Gone but not forgotten...Camper Bob's

609-760-7079 Cell
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Here is how I do payroll (every thursday). I print a technician productivity page for each tech. I review all jobs and mark off any that were paid on the previous week (or partially paid in the previous week) (ie the head example).

I also add any jobs that they have completed but that are not closed (like it hasn't been picked up yet). This gives me their hours to pay them for the week, I do this every thursday.
Gary R
100 Club: Active Contributor
100 Club: Active Contributor

Post by Gary R »

Here is how I accomplish what you are trying to do. At the end of the week, I add the book hours from the tech's time cards and compare that to the Tech Commission report. If there is a difference in these two numbers (which will happen when a job in progress goes into the next week) I use the following procedure. First go to the repair order that is being left open until next week and in the technician pay hours I make a second entry on the next line for a negative amount of hours that you want to credit the technician for in the current payroll. This entry ensures that he does not receive credit for those hours when you finally close the Invoice during the next week. Next I have a "ficticious customer" named payroll. I create a "vehicle" named '2009 Payroll Adjustment' . Now open a repair order for Mr. Payroll and open a labor item. Enter the amount of hours that you want to pay the tech for in the tech hours area. DO NOT enter any hours in the charged hours window as this will effect your Sales totals. Then close Mr. Payroll's $00.00 Invoice during the current payroll period. I know this sounds complicated but it allows you to use the Tech Commission report to accurately track current payroll hours. Mr. Payroll's invoices are all for zero dollars and will not effect your sales numbers and the negative hours entered on the actual Invoice for the work being done prevents over-paying the Tech. If you have any questions, feel free to call me.

Gary Radtke
Service Manager
Clavey Auto Service
847-724-4770
Gary Radtke
Service Manager
Clavey Auto Service
http://www.claveyauto.com
Pauls Automotive
1000 Club: Interstellar
1000 Club: Interstellar

Post by Pauls Automotive »

Ok now that was a new one on me! I've done the negative hours thing but to have a custmer named Payroll...now that is cool! :D Thumbs up for unique ideas!
Paul
Pauls Automotive
6318 Falls Road
Baltimore, Md 21209
410-825-2224
paul@paulsauto.com
TRUE HAPPINESS IS WITHIN YOU
cmeyer8552

Post by cmeyer8552 »

Hello. I’m new to posting, but have been lurking for quite a while. I’ve been able to find answers to all of my Manager questions so far. Thank you!

I just ran into this situation myself and was happy to find this post. We pay our techs a percentage of labor and a small percentage of parts. For last week (before I saw this), I posted the invoice for the work the tech had completed so that it would show up on the tech commission report, and then un-posted and converted it back into a repair order so we could add the rest of the parts and labor completed this week. I like Gary’s method above and will definitely use that from now on.

My question concerns the parts aspect. How would I handle that? Should I go back into the repair order and tag “no commission” for the parts he has already received credit for? Is there a way to post this on the “Mr. Payroll” repair order as well? Or, will this skew my tech reports in some way that will come back and bite me months from now?

Thanks for all the great advice!

Caryn Meyer
Douglas Automotive Repair Inc
Plainfield, IL

Return to “NEW >>> TIPS - Database / Settings”