TIP: State Inspections GP%

Tips Collected
kingwoodshell
50 Club: Regular Contributor

TIP: State Inspections GP%

Post by kingwoodshell »

Ok I looked through a cr*p load of posts yesterday trying to find an answer to this so I wouldn't bother anyone, but I couldn't find my answer. How do I make a canned job for a state inspection / emissions test. It needs to have a technician assigned to it and I need to be able to track the labor cost and sticker cost. I've had it listed as a normal labor line to track the technician. I am currently trying to keep better track of this so I have a truer GP%.

Thanks in advance,
Dan
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: State inspections

Post by ricmorin »

Hey Dan.

That's a good idea. Try adding the sticker cost as a Sublet to the State. Then enter the sticker cost on the sublet. You can choose to charge the customer some amount on the sublet or set it to zero and figure it in labor. Either way, your sticker cost will be figured in profit calculations.

I'm thinking of doing this too now that you've posted. :)
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
kingwoodshell

Post by kingwoodshell »

Thanks Ric. How do I calculate the labor cost when checking GP? After kicking it around a while I came up with the sublet part, but labor cost has me stumped.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

kingwoodshell wrote:Thanks Ric. How do I calculate the labor cost when checking GP? After kicking it around a while I came up with the sublet part, but labor cost has me stumped.
Your labor cost comes to play when you enter a technician and assign Pay Hours. From data in the technician setup, the program will figure in labor costs.

For what we get for an inspection around here, I would expect the GP to be very low on these jobs.

PS: Give me a call if you're still having trouble and we'll go over it.
603-622-6434 x203

steven kiser

Re: State Inspections

Post by steven kiser »

i'm doing a complete 180 on inspection stickers. for years i would do the dot inspections but the feds turned them over to the state. i lost an annual income on the inspections alone of approx 8-10k not to mention any up sells. many of my commercial accounts would use this time to do bumper to bumper services. we ran into an issue with one of my customers that had been rejected and had filed a claim with the registry. the inspector came out, we went over the vehicle step by step and i showed him what was going on. i mentioned to him that i would like to do truck inspections. he asked a bunch of questions and looked the shop over. he said that he wouldn't give me a licence for just trucks but would give me one for trucks and cars. i put a lot of thought into in and finally decided to do it. on paper the projected gp is close. my feeling on this post is basically you need to figure in any up sells. if you look at the inspections as a stand alone figuring in all the costs including power, % of equipment cost over a three year period, labor cost, etc and put it on a profit and loss sheet unless the inspector is humping out 10 stickers a day you're loosing money. on paper it may be prudent to keep inspections and the rest of the shop separate, it may give you a little wiggle room economically.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
kingwoodshell

Post by kingwoodshell »

Thanks for the input Steve. It sounds like y'alls inspections must take a whole lot longer than ours do. We can average about 10-15 a day here. The initial investment is really high on the equipment [no doubt about it]. I definately think they are worth it though with the upsells and tandom work [LOF's, rotations, etc...you won't get cause they can't one stop shop]. I think you did the right thing...in my opinion anyway.

Ric,
When you put the inspection in as a sublet there is no place to put a tech name so the program can compute labor cost. I'm not sure I am on the same page as you. I'm off tomorrow so I may give you a buzz about this.

Thanks as always guys.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Right. I only suggest placing the sticker cost as a sublet and also including a labor line for the techs time. I'm here all day but I'm off tomorrow.
603-622-6434 x203

kingwoodshell

Post by kingwoodshell »

Light bulb moment Ric. Make a canned job: sublet the sticker cost and retail. Then add a labor line with just labor cost built in. Am I on the right track?
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

kingwoodshell wrote:Light bulb moment Ric. Make a canned job: sublet the sticker cost and retail. Then add a labor line with just labor cost built in. Am I on the right track?
Ding Ding Ding. :idea:

That's it!

Anytime I have weird costs like that to be figured in I use Sublet. Like tire disposal...I use Sublet.
603-622-6434 x203

kingwoodshell

Post by kingwoodshell »

Ric I redid all my state inspections and man I love looking at my GP% on those. We need to do about 50 a day. I appreciate every bit of the help on this from all of you.

Dan
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

kingwoodshell wrote:Ric I redid all my state inspections and man I love looking at my GP% on those. We need to do about 50 a day. I appreciate every bit of the help on this from all of you.

Dan
No problem. You actually sparked a few ideas for me too. Thanks. :idea: :) :idea:
603-622-6434 x203

fortknoxx
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by fortknoxx »

kingwoodshell wrote:Hey Tim where do i get a copy of that?!? :D
kindle 49.99 + tx