Re: 1995 Olds 98 - A/C Will Not Come On

Post by autoxperts »

i grounded out the relay and the comp. comes on, already changed relay
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

is the relay receiving a signal? i'm thinking no. the signal will come from the module (control head) check signal for compressor at module. if yes, broken wire. if no, than either an input sensor is bad, broken wire from sensor to module, or bad module. the module sends a signal through the pressure sensors to the pcm and the pcm sends the signal to the compressor. there are three fuses in the system. two are in the power distribution box, one is hot all the time and the other is hot when compressor is in run command. the third is in the relay center. in the past i've assumed a fuse was ok because both sides weren't hot. turn a/c on and check again if you already haven't. another item i noticed is there is a diode at the compressor. i've never seen an issue with this but their is always a first. you say if you ground the relay it activates the compressor, correct? if this is the case, if while the relay is grounded you turn control to off position will the compressor shut down? if you need a schematic call me and i'll forward it to you. again, if there are codes stored it will not activate the compressor.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
autoxperts
50 Club: Regular Contributor

Post by autoxperts »

comp. will not turn off when grounded . all wires are good & diode is good.i have wiring diagrame thanks
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

autoxperts wrote:comp. will not turn OFF ?? when grounded . all wires are good & diode is good.i have wiring diagrame thanks
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
liljoe
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by liljoe »

The PCM grounds that terminal to engage compressor, if the PCM shows the correct state for compressor enabled ( yes/no) when switching it off and on then either the PCM has a defect in it or the wire from the relay to the compresor has an open. If the PCM does not resd the correct state, then you will need to get into the ATC module to find your problem.
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
autoxperts

Post by autoxperts »

it was the control head. Fixed. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

thanks for posting the fix.

Return to “GM Cars”