2000 Buick Century Custom - Brake Light ~FIXED~

Specific repair issues for all GM cars + FWD vans
Crescentbunny
100 Club: Active Contributor

2000 Buick Century Custom - Brake Light ~FIXED~

Post by Crescentbunny »

Hello, we recently acquired a 2000 Buick Century Custom with a dashboard brake light that we can't seem to get to turn off. We've checked : The hydraulic lines, no leaks. The master cylinder, no leaks. The brake fluid level is perfect, the brake light switch has been replaced, the level sensor on the master cylinder has been replaced and is working correctly, the instrument cluster has been replaced, pads are thick, system has been bled multiple times, checked parking brake and line, all is well. We're really drawing a blank other than replacing the master cylinder its self. Anyone have any ideas?
Last edited by Crescentbunny on Thu May 01, 2014 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff @ Able Auto
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Re: 2000 Buick Century Custom Brake Light

Post by Jeff @ Able Auto »

What about the e-brake switch?
Jeff Fitzgerald - retired
Treasure Coast of Florida
"there will be enough time to sleep when we're dead"
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Heres what I see

1. Check the IPC data on the scan tool. Confirm the data indicates the Red brake light is commanded off.

2. Disconnect the brake fluid level indicator switch. The light should go off.

3. If not, confirm the Purple wire at the switch is not grounded.

4. If all tests pass, the IPC is defective.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Or if it has any fault codes you can start by testing based on those. Like a C1218 is most likely the module ground.
Crescentbunny

Post by Crescentbunny »

Ah I forgot the e-brake switch, yes we replaced that also. Thank you both for the information though! bianp87 I will get the guys started on that as soon as we run out of client repairs and I'll get back on here to let you know how it went. No fault codes at this time sadly. We did replace the instrument cluster already but here's hoping the 2nd one wasn't faulty too. Can't say it hasn't happened before.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Good luck
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

If this has a prop valve it may be out of balance. The way I reset it is I pump up the brake, have someone open the line at the master for the front brakes (biggest reservoir) let the pedal fade as far as it will, close the line and lock it tight, make sure the cover is on, take my foot off the brake pedal and before it reaches the top stomp on it. It charges the system while the system is slack and will usually balance the prop valve. If this is 4w abs you need a scanner that will bleed the module. The new updates in the Snappy might do it but I use my tech 2. You need a scanner to fire off the balancing motors or some air will remain.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Crescentbunny

Post by Crescentbunny »

Thanks! We will try that as well. I'm crossing my fingers anyway. We can't get this Buick street legal until that light is out, as it will fail state inspection with it on.
Crescentbunny

Post by Crescentbunny »

Well, we've just now been able to get the Buick back in. Tried all things listed here so far, still the dang brake light is on. Our ASE Master Tech is the one working on this too so it's not like it's just a lube boy figuring things out. Testing is showing fault in the new cluster we installed. Can't say that never happens. It's probably more frequent than I'd LIKE to think that a part is crap before we even pull it out of its wrapping. We've got another cluster here we're going to try if it calms down any today and I'll keep everyone posted.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Re: 2000 Buick Century Custom - Brake Light

Post by brianp87 »

Thanks for the update.
Crescentbunny

Re: 2000 Buick Century Custom - Brake Light ~Resolved~

Post by Crescentbunny »

Well it WAS that new cluster we put in. What are the odds that the new part isn't just broken right out of the box but broken in the exact same way as the original cluster we were replacing? :roll:
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Ha! Makes you question your abilities as a diagnostic technician! BTDT!
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

ricmorin wrote:Ha! Makes you question your abilities as a diagnostic technician! BTDT!
Yep haet this. BTW what brand was the cluster?
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

I learned the hard way. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's not broken. I had an Impala in the shop years ago and the battery kept dying. 6 volt draw wasn't the suspect so we tested the battery and it was questionable so we replace it. A week or so later the car came back with the same issue so we traced the draw feeling it was a path to a bigger issue. This vehicle was one where the KAM was new to the industry and the PCM's were common failures. We replaced that and went down the path of WTF is going on. Had too much time invested to walk away plus that goes against my grain so I was in it for the long haul. Shut down the automatic locks, power windows, seats, etc. This was before any internet forums. Finally I thought about what I would do if this came into my shop with the issue clean like it just happened. I tested the battery and it was junk, Lesson learned. However occasionally I find myself being sucked down that path od assuming the replaced part is fine. As a matter of fact I have a Jeep in the shop that has a cooling fan run by the power steering pump. Pump was leaking so we replaced it and ended up with weak power steering. Replaced it again with the same issue. Took the tech sheet and walked across the street to the parts store and asked for the catalogue. We looked it up and we saw two selections. One with p/s run cooling fan and the other without. We ordered the correct one and hopefully it will solve the problem.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Crescentbunny

Post by Crescentbunny »

The cluster was a Dorman part. We don't normally have a lot of problems with Dorman, but even the best parts will have RMA's right out of the box. Our poor tech was certainly second guessing himself. He takes these things very personally he has a lot of pride in his meticulous precision. He said he didn't know if he should be happy that the new cluster worked or if he should be furious, hahaha. :lol: We once had to put 5 alternators on a Volvo before we got one that didn't have excessive ripple issues. Bad parts, never fun. Sometimes I wonder if an entire shipment came in bad. I'll call and ask the part pullers to pull the part on the very back of the shelf and lets give that one a go. Maybe it came in on a different shipment. The sad part is that strategy works more often than not.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Yes its a pain. Don't forget to turn n a labor claim and get diagnostic time.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

I am accustomed to parts stores changing manufacturers of their parts. Car Quest would change manufacturers on occasion to compete with other part suppliers like Auto Zone, etc, and I would see alternators by Mike and Ike being sold along with Bosch or Delphi. You would completely expect Mike and Ike to be whatever was on sale with no consideration of quality or long term survival. Other manufacturers such as Dorman I never would question. I would have done the exact same thing in this situation even though I swore I would never assume a replaced part is good. I expect it even from Ford and G.M. new out of the box and especially remans. G.M.'s for the most part come from Mexico and I love vacationing there but have had huge issues with the reman stuff that comes from there. I see Made In Mexico I see a scene from The Family Guy and all the Mexican workers are shown with joints hanging out of their mouths and empty bottles of Tequila on the ground. I hope I don't start reading about a lot of issues with Dorman.
Crescentbunny

Post by Crescentbunny »

Yeah we have such great luck with Dorman, this is the only thing I can even think of that has had an issue. We will definitely be sure to turn in a claim for the labor time. I don't know what they will say since our tech altogether probably burned down close to 8 hours on this thing. The good news is we bought this from our main supplier and they always bend over backwards to give us what we want for claims, so we will see.

Return to “GM Cars”