2002 Grand Prix GT - 3.8L 70k miles Stalling?

Specific repair issues for all GM cars + FWD vans
Huron Auto Repair

2002 Grand Prix GT - 3.8L 70k miles Stalling?

Post by Huron Auto Repair »

HeLP!!! We have a 2002 Grand Prix GT with 70k on it. That keeps stalling out. No MiL light, no codes. We have replaced the crank sensor, ICM, Checked the TP sensor, MAP, MAF all looks good. Cleaned the throttle body out. It runs then just shuts off. Fuel pressure is within spec. Any help would be great.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2002 Grand Prix GT - 3.8L 70k miles Stalling?

Post by steven kiser »

these are known for faulty maf sensors even when they are within specs. Ground wire issues usually near coil packs and module. Tap on maf and see if it stumbles. EGR opening at idle. These are just a few common.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
nickscarcare
750 Club: World Class Contributor
750 Club: World Class Contributor

Post by nickscarcare »

I was going to post the same as Steve, lots of MAF failures, tap test is a great way. I usually replace the pigtail also at the same time.
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com
Huron Auto Repair

Tried tapping on the MAF no stumbles. It looks like the upper intake has been replaced and I have been noticing that the idle is crappy when it warms up. I was suspecting maybe a vacuum leak. I sprayed cab cleaner all over thing and nothing changed..EGR is working proper also.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

watch scanner during warm up and see if it starts when loop changes.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Huron Auto Repair

Will do! I just talked to the customer and he states that he has owned the car since it was new and never has replaced the upper intake. I know these cars are notorious for the upper going bad. I'm wondering if I'm getting a leak that I just cannot find.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

If you have an internal vac leak on this take oil cap off and see how much suction there is. Just place your hand over the opening. Some of these start running rough when cap is off normally so don't be fooled. I'm working on the idea that is stall right away like you turned the key off. Can you keep it running by working the throttle? If you can it sounds like an emission issue, vac lean when loop changes and it leans off, or possibly the module fluctuating the injection pulse. If it just quits it is possibly a spark issue. With a scanner see if the rpm shuts down when it stalls. If you keep the idle high will it quit?

Return to “GM Cars”