2010 Pontiac G6 - 2.4L Starts And Dies?

Specific repair issues for all GM cars + FWD vans
92zman
200 Club: Major Contributor

2010 Pontiac G6 - 2.4L Starts And Dies?

Post by 92zman »

We have a 2010 G6 here with a 2.4L and it will start and die in about 3 sec thought the pass key but all is good there. Did some testing and found the injectors stop getting signal from the pcm and that is when it dies. We did replace the VTD cause i could not go in with the scanner and talk to it. I can know but still wont stay running. Can keep it running with starting fluid. Any ideas.... thanks
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2010 Pontiac G6 - 2.4L Starts And Dies?

Post by ricmorin »

Sounds like it is in theft mode. You'll need to determine why. Check the PCM for the pid 'fuel enable'. Likely it will say no.

You say you replaced the VTD. This usually stands for Vehicle Theft Deterrent. There are a few components to this system. What exactly did you replace?
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Did you reprogram it after replacing the theft module?
92zman

Post by 92zman »

Followed mitchell and what they say to do for the relearn and that even got a new key. When in the PCM it shows then it should start it does not show any thing that would say no start.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

1. A theft system learn procedure must be performed. Either the 10 minute or 30 minute relearn can be performed.

2. The 10 minute learn requires the use of a Tech 2 and a Techline terminal utilizing the Pass-Thru method.

3. The 30 minute learn can be performed as follows:
•With an unlearned master vehicle key, turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
•Observe the security indicator, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn off.
•Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
•Repeat this process two more times for a total of 3 cycles or 30 minutes.
Tech Tips: Contact a GM dealer with the VIN number to confirm involvement in Product Safety Campaigns 14113A, and 14133A. If the vehicle is involved in the campaigns, but any have not been performed, have the Campaign/s completed. Campaign 14113A involves replacing the ignition lock cylinder and ignition key.
92zman

Post by 92zman »

That is what i have done. All but i dont have a tech II but in mitchell says then u dont have to have one to do it.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

If it is programmed properly id be looking at the igniton switch
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Sorry for the late jump in here but what was the original issue? Was it as described or something else? What were the symptoms before you started working on it? Was there a remote starter installed aftermarket? Anything else you can add or find out from the customer would be extremely helpful.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

What did you find?
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

There was a bit of chatter about a bad ground issue at the p.c.m. causing an issue like this but that's about all I could find without more information. Personally, with issues like this I find if there is any and I mean any added aftermarket additions I shut them down right off. I've found that most places that install radios, remote starters, alarms, etc have people working for them that have basic skills not the ones required since manufacturers started using harnesses and modules that read resistance and amps to function. Any added item tied into one of these circuits can and usually cause issues that can send you on a wild goose chase. About 5 or 6 years ago I had a weekend sit down with my techs and invited a few reps from a few manufacturers in to go over some items. One thing that we really keyed in on was how important it was not to interrupt and circuits and look for them when we had vehicles in the shop with no start or other issues, especially ones that were off the beaten path. Disrupting a wire can cause issues from vehicles starting on their own, not starting, climate control issues, sound system issues, etc. So basically from that day on we started wiring directly from supplied points at power distribution boxes or in some cases installing small 3 or 4 port fused panels. If they needed constant power we came right off of the main feed going to the main power box or keyed power we tie in a relay unit that powers up the added fuse panel when keyed. We have had vehicles towed in where the issue was aftermarket install issues or major fails like p.c.m's, and other modules and burned wiring because of this.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
92zman

Post by 92zman »

Got the car back in yesterday. Went though and re flashed the ECM/TCM then the VTM . Then got it to start up and all was good. Thank you all for ur help.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Thanks for the reply. I would like to toss a little wrench out here. The chatter I read about a grounding issue would have made me take a real, real, real close look at that connection. We've been running into all sorts of wiring issues lately where the plug is corroded and needs a good cleaning. The unusual amount we're seeing is a direct result from the amount of snow and salt being tracked into the vehicles or the ones with the undercarriage coverings being torn off during the first storm and never replaced. I'm seeing more than a few but less than a lot of vehicles where the engine compartment looks like it was left open at a beach during high winds. I've seen sand and salt mixed with snow under a hood that took up more room than the engine. Just a thought.

Return to “GM Cars”