2003 Olds Alero - Front Brake Wear?

Specific repair issues for all GM cars + FWD vans
JBUTITTA
50 Club: Regular Contributor

2003 Olds Alero - Front Brake Wear?

Post by JBUTITTA »

I have a 2003 Olds Alero vin 1G3NL52F03C331434 that is going thru the outer front brake pads in less than 5000 miles.

I inherited this after several other shops have put who knows how many pads and rotors on it. I started from scratch and install napa reman calipers, master cylinder, front brake hoses pads and rotors. car came back after 4000 miles with only the outer front brake pads worn to the metal. Warrantied front calipers, master cylinder pads and rotors and replaced the proportioning valve (non-abs system) with new GM part. This car is now back again after 5000 miles with again only the front outer pads worn down. I have double checked all parts to be sure they are for this specific car (decoded vin with 3 different systems). wheel bearings and suspension has no play. The front brakes do not appear to be getting hot, rotors are not blue, and temp after test drive is ok. I'm running out of ideas, and hair.

All thoughts and diagnostic ideas are more then welcome, PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!! Jerry
Pauls Automotive
1000 Club: Interstellar
1000 Club: Interstellar

Re: 2003 Olds Alero - Front Brake Wear?

Post by Pauls Automotive »

Both outer pads? Left and right? Inboards pads are both staying pretty thick? Any chance the spindle brackets are hanging up the calipers in some way?
Paul
Pauls Automotive
6318 Falls Road
Baltimore, Md 21209
410-825-2224
paul@paulsauto.com
TRUE HAPPINESS IS WITHIN YOU
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

That's weird on only outer pads. Im gonna think about this one
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Do the brakes ever drag? Maybe check cold and hot. What about rotor run out?
nickscarcare
750 Club: World Class Contributor
750 Club: World Class Contributor

Post by nickscarcare »

Are they a mail route person? I have a guy that had a similar problem with a colorado, 7,000 and wore them right out, and they were Wagner Thermoquiets. I did the same new calipers, hoses, to no avail. I finally installed a really expensive pad that is supposed to be for race cars, so far 4,000 miles and wearing good.
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com
JBUTITTA

Post by JBUTITTA »

Not a mail route, only both front outer pads are wearing, rear shoes adjusted and wearing normally. My next stop is a 12 step meeting tonight and see if my higher power has an answer. Then tomorrow I will check for dragging while hot and cold, I just don't understand how it's the outside pad only. Sure if the caliper hardware was hanging up that would make sense, or if a bad bearing or suspension part I could understand. I have never seen the steel lines cause a problem other than leaking, and if they were restricted I would expect to see inboard or both pads wearing out. 3 taverns between here and meeting, wish me luck. :wink: Jerry
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

Have you compared the thickness of the pads when new? I seem to remember an issue with an Alero where the front outboard pad was thinner when it came out of the box. I struggled with one of these and pretty sure it had to do with the front pad wear. Not a 100% but an alarm is going off in my head on this one.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Post by Tim Martin »

What brand and quality of brake pads are you using? I have seen this before several times, and based on previous experience, I would be highly suspicious of the brand and quality of the pads being used.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Tim Martin wrote:What brand and quality of brake pads are you using? I have seen this before several times, and based on previous experience, I would be highly suspicious of the brand and quality of the pads being used.
Good point. I was looking into this for you and that's what I am reading also.
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Well, what I have discovered is that the dynamics of the brake system are designed with certain type of brake material for specific vehicles. I am thinking that this vehicle likely came through with ceramic material and if lesser quality is used it wears out faster.
JBUTITTA

Post by JBUTITTA »

Thanks for all the reply's. I do agree that quality of parts can be an issue. This particular car was installed with napa up7594x pads. I think you may be missing the point that the outboard pad is worn to the backing plate while the inboard pad looks new. All within 5000 miles. I have personally installed 2 sets of pads, rotors, calipers and master cylinders. New front brake hoses were installed during first set of parts but not on the return visit. A new GM proportioning valve was also installed during the last repair. I am still looking for some help in trying to figure a permanent repair. Customer is being exceptionally patient since I inherited this problem after several other shops put on who knows how many parts. I have told them I do not feel comfortable returning the car to them while just putting on more parts without getting to the bottom of the problem. And no, I don't think that Monte Carlo A/C brackets are the cause of burning down the clubhouse. Patiently waiting for help. Thanks again, Jerry
Jeff @ Able Auto
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by Jeff @ Able Auto »

Maybe look into the pedal push rod length. It may be holding out just enough that when released the caliper piston retracts but not enough to allow the caliper to fully release? I know it seems backwards of the problem but it would be worth looking at. Just my $2.95 (2 cents plus obama care tax)
Jeff Fitzgerald - retired
Treasure Coast of Florida
"there will be enough time to sleep when we're dead"
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Only 2 things can cause that (I think) outer pad dragging and wearing prematurely or friction material. Id lean with dragging but that can be checked so I don't know what to say if they are not dragging.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

I'm going to call a buddy of mine at G.M. and see if he remembers anything about this. I did run into either the same or one close to this. I can remember the color of the car, the dent in the side, the reason this kids sister gave him the car (hated it because of all the issues it had) and finally fixing it. One of those situations that you pray hard to forget. I'm going to reach out to the tech that worked on it. Don't know how that will go since I canned him but I'll take a run at it anyway. For some reason the thickness of the new front pads keep popping up in my mind like a bad commercial during a football game. I remember ordering pads from the dealer and there were different levels of pads available for this vehicle or so I think there was. Again with trout fishing starting up, firing a tech three weeks ago, daughter moving next week, son and girlfriend calling it quits (living right next to the shop), starting physical therapy, second lead tech going on vacation, four huge jobs over 6k each that have to be done next week, in court with a tenant that hasn't paid rent in over a year and a half (not commercial) and a wife that feels pointing out these issues over and over again is her contribution to the resolution (I'm smiling now because she's the love of my life and is really trying to help) along with the usual pile of bull that goes with owning a business my dance card is pretty full. This is the biggest reason I'm out of the house at 430 A.M.. I'll dig into this because I know I can end it or continue. This is relaxing for me so I'll continue....................
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Steve mentions the aspect of different thickness of pads. I remember through the years I have run into that as well. One brand will be thicker than others may be. I know, I have heard the arguments already that the thickness is all the same from one brand to another. I even had one manufacturing representative tell me that. He went so far as to propose that I didn't have a clue what I was talking about when I mentioned different thickness of lining material. Well, it turns out he was the clueless one. But, back to the point, that's one reason why I am loyal to certain brands and avoid using some brands because I have run into this already through the last 45 years of working on vehicles.

Another event I recall some years ago. I had this customer that would go through a set of front brake pads before anyone else could. So under warranty, I was replacing them to keep him happy and to keep him coming back. Well, it turns out that his wife was the primary driver and she had the habit of resting her foot on the brake pedal as she was driving. Not hard, just enough so that there was a slight drag on the brake system yet not enough to turn on the brake lights. That was a tough one to figure out.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Was banging around again trying to wrap my thoughts around this issue. I still don't remember what the resolution was with the one we had in here years back. Did a vehicle search and went through all the work orders on these vehicles. I started to remember my two most disliked vehicles of the Oldsmobile line, the Aurora and the Alero. I won't mention the Cutlass that Oldsmobile converted to diesel by changing the heads and throwing it out there during the first gas shortage. We all know that Oldsmobile was the experimental * of G.M. but this was just a flat out insult and failure. This is about the only thing I came across that makes sense. It over extends the reach of the slide so maybe that's the answer. I would get the pads from G.M. and if possible the calipers and lines from World Pac. They are my go to for aftermarket high quality parts and even O.E.M. at costs 20 to 30% less than it costs me from the dealer. Not to get to far away from point I can purchase a G.M. fuel module that lists for 860.00 from my local dealer for 625.00 and get the same part with the G.M tag and part number from World Pac for 510.00. Good Luck and I hope this helps. It sure helped me to shake this problem. Hope you had a good weekend.

Date: April, 2001

INFORMATION
Subject:
Proper Installation of Front Brake Pads with Wear Indicator
(Possibility of Reversing Front Brake Pads)
Models:
1997-2001 Chevrolet Malibu
1997-1999 Oldsmobile Cutlass
1999-2001 Oldsmobile Alero
1999-2001 Pontiac Grand Am

This bulletin cancels and replaces Corporate Bulletin Number 73-50-34. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 73-50-34 (Section 5 - Brakes).

It may be possible to interchange the outboard and inboard front brake pads on the above vehicles without obvious concerns at the time of installation. Improper installation of the brake pads may result in reduced lining life. In addition, possible interference between the compact spare wheel and the caliper may occur. This interference may be sufficient to prevent the wheel from turning when the compact spare is installed soon after pad replacement.

Service Information 1997-2001

The following list details concerns with the Service Information contained within the L/N car Service Manuals. These items will be updated in the Electronic Service Information.

^ The 1997 Chevrolet Malibu and Oldsmobile Cutlass Service Manuals incorrectly state that the brake pad with the wear indicator should be located on the outboard front brake pad. The accompanying illustrations are also incorrect.

^ The 1998 Chevrolet Malibu/Oldsmobile Cutlass and the 1999 Service Manual for all four models contain text which describes correctly the front brake pad replacement procedure and location of the front brake pads. The accompanying illustrations, however, show the incorrect pad location.

^ The 2000 and 2001 Chevrolet Malibu and Grand Am/Alero Service Manuals contain text which correctly describes the front brake pad replacement procedure. The accompanying illustrations are generic and do not indicate the presence of a wear indicator used as part of the pad assembly

Recommendations

Important: Service kits include specific right hand and left hand inboard pads. When installing front brake pads, the pads with the wear indicators must be installed in the inboard position (against the piston) in the brake caliper. Figure 1, callout (1) shows the proper positioning of the wear indicator. When the proper inboard pad is installed, the wear indictor will point upward with the caliper installed on the car. If the pad with the wear indicator is installed in the outboard position, front brake lining life may be reduced. In addition, interference between the compact spare wheel and the caliper can occur. This interference may be sufficient to prevent the wheel from turning when the compact spare is installed.

^ Include a copy of this service bulletin in each affected Service Manual.
JBUTITTA

Post by JBUTITTA »

Im closing this request as finished but not repaired. Returned car to customer with warrantied parts . The son is taking it to his dad out of state to see if he can figure this out. The right front caliper is definitely dragging and getting hotter than left front. I have replaced all the parts that can cause this twice. I am thinking this may have been in an accident and front knuckles were replaced from a non Alero car. Only a guess. I did inherit this car after several other shops were also unable to repair. I do not like not being able to diagnose the underling problem, but I am secure enough to know I did everything possible. Thanks for all the help and if customer finds a solution I will post here. Jerry

Return to “GM Cars”