2007 Chev Malibu - Brake System

Specific repair issues for all GM cars + FWD vans
danstangler

2007 Chev Malibu - Brake System

Post by danstangler »

We have a 2007 Chevy Malibu LTZ w/o stability control, the brakes will apply on their own without the pedal being pushed.

The pads, calipers, and rotors were shot so we replaced them. After doing so, we drove it for 10 miles no issues. Customer picked the vehicle up and it did it again. Put the car on the hoist and let idle and after some time we couldn't turn the left front and right rear, pulled the vacuum hose on the booster and it released. Installed a booster and still does it.

Looking for some ideas.
sbebenelli
750 Club: World Class Contributor
750 Club: World Class Contributor

Re: 2007 MALIBU BRAKE SYSTEM

Post by sbebenelli »

I have seen a master cylinder do this. Not saying that's what's wrong but I have seen it. I have also seen a brake hose do this but the fact it's doing it at 2 wheels the master cylinder seems more likely than a hose.
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

In theory, a booster would not act on only one channel of the brakes. I'd go with a master cyl.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Master cylinder would do this but before I started tossing more at it I would want a complete history. Have you been exclusively working on this or has it been somewhere else? If the customer had been complaining about a low pedal at another shop and they thought of "adjusting" the booster push rod that could be your issue. I think something mechanical is applying pressure to pedal just enough to slowly activate the booster. I don't want to sound like the Farmers Insurance Ad but been there, seen it, fought through it. I was there (long long time ago) I would spend time looking for any "technical issues" caused by a technician. These are the most difficult to find but it does sound like a rod adjustment or pedal being held down issue. Good Luck.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “GM Cars”