1997 Buick Century - Transmission Issue?

Specific repair issues for all GM cars + FWD vans
rma316

1997 Buick Century - Transmission Issue?

Post by rma316 »

Have a 97 Century in the shop, just finished doing intake gaskets in it.

On the road test, the technician noticed that when you take off in D the speedometer will bounce, up to about 90(while sitting still), and the vehicle seems to be taking off in 3rd gear. Tech 2 shows no trouble codes, and actually says the vehicle is in 1st gear when it takes off, it most certainly is not in 1st gear, as it will shift down into 2nd, and then back to 3rd while accelerating. If I manually select 1st gear with the lever, it will shudder and jerk and eventually drop down into 1st. I am baffled by the lack of trouble codes, as it seems like they should be there.

Anyone else run into something like this?
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 1997 Buick Century - Transmission Issue?

Post by steven kiser »

Took me a second to understand that Tech2 was the scanner not another mechanic. Sounded like a multiple choice question from a High School Exam. The issue and no codes make me think of a missing ground, harness connector plugged into incorrect sensor or a series of blown fuses. On the other hand was the key on the on position when battery was hooked up? If so a spike may have trashed the PCM or TCM. It sounds to me that there is a ground lead floating around looking for a home.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
scgms1
50 Club: Regular Contributor

Post by scgms1 »

Seeing as the scanner is hooked to the vehicle - What is the VSS reading when the gauge indicates 90 MPH? Does that read 90 MPH when checking either the engine or transmission data screen? Is this a gauge fault or something with the VSS/wiring/PCM? I know that's what you're asking, but if you see 90 MPH while sitting there (Tech 2 PCM data) I'd look at the wiring, secondary ignition issue...
rma316

Post by rma316 »

scgms1 wrote:Seeing as the scanner is hooked to the vehicle - What is the VSS reading when the gauge indicates 90 MPH? Does that read 90 MPH when checking either the engine or transmission data screen? Is this a gauge fault or something with the VSS/wiring/PCM? I know that's what you're asking, but if you see 90 MPH while sitting there (Tech 2 PCM data) I'd look at the wiring, secondary ignition issue...
Tech 2 never showed any reading that high. It would go up to high single digit numbers.

Customer needed her car, so we let her take it, she says it's driving just like it always has and she has no problems with it, so we're leaving well enough alone for the time being. Perhaps something will develop further and we can figure it out from there.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Isn't this a kick in the jewels. I've lost count of how many "issues" we've come up against that were considered normal operation by the owner. I have in place a detailed pre repair work sheet that is one of the few items that isn't optional. I don't care if the vehicle is in for a slow leak or wiper blades, it is to be completed and attached to work order. I've also adapted a different line of communication with customers when something like this is discovered AFTER a repair opposed to prior. When a vehicle is towed or limps in and there isn't any or a detailed service history I'm always apprehensive that if I call with an issue I'll be told it wasn't there prior so I approach it trying not to allow that issue to be tossed out. I'll tell them that during a deep scan some glitches or past codes were discovered that would cause problems ranging from poor performance to shift issues. The detailed tech inspection sheet also increases my profit by allowing me to upsell. Customers always forget about chattering wiper lades until its raining, headlamp issues until it's dark and heat issues until it's cold. We even test for temp and location levels for the heat and A/C. I've lost count of how many times spare tires are missing, power windows not working and all sorts of rattles that have been discovered. The primary reason for a detailed check list is to cover my butt from bottom feeders blind siding me and a huge positive side effect is increasing my profits. A headlamp, two bulbs, cabin and intake filters create a profit of 100 dollars, well worth the time it takes on the amount of time ten inspections I get nothing out of.

Another line I take is if an inspection discovers a lot f issues, some major, I'll call the customer, explain what we have seen and tell them that we just wanted them to be aware so if the vehicle is approaching the chopping block they won't get caught doing brakes when it also needs front axles, ball joints and inner tie rods. I try to cover myself while hoping the customer sees I'm also looking out for their best interest. I've been accused of yanking a Boss motor out of a Mustang and installing a six cylinder, taking out a new battery and replacing it with an old one, swapping out tires, putting 5k on the car while it was at my shop for two days, smashing in the passenger side of a mini van ( the cop picked up the passenger mirror in their driveway as well as an assortment of molding and decal pieces from a stone wall that ran along it) and the person claimed we must have done it delivering the vehicle. He allowed the person to file a report that was signed swearing it happened under our control. My security cameras showed her picking it up two hours before calling me claiming damage and the passenger side wasn't damaged. Another person claimed his van was stolen off of my lot and recovered in Boston. About a 30 mile drive and all the while the water pump was off and I was waiting for some time to drill out broken bolts. He filed a theft report and wanted my insurance information which I refused to give him. The officer asked for the recording disc for the time frame it was here and the next day called me to identify the couple stealing the van. It was them and when I told the police that there was one of my best jump packs and a carry set of tools in the van when it was stolen I was asked if it exceeded 250 dollars. I told him well over that mark since just looking at Snap On Tools costs over 500. The customer told the police since he didn't file a claim there was nothing that could be done to him or anyone. The smug SOB almost dropped when the police told him that it was true but the tools that belonged to Kiser that were in the van exceeded the amount needed to charge him with grand theft. What a good feeling. I know I really went over the top on this one but everything talked about had to do with covering myself one way or another. BTW lot cameras at least in this State gets a pretty good discount on liability insurance.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
scgms1

Post by scgms1 »

steven kiser wrote:Isn't this a kick in the jewels. I've lost count of how many "issues" we've come up against that were considered normal operation by the owner. I have in place a detailed pre repair work sheet that is one of the few items that isn't optional.... I know I really went over the top on this one but everything talked about had to do with covering myself one way or another. BTW lot cameras at least in this State gets a pretty good discount on liability insurance.
Hi Steven,

I guess no matter what you do, you're bound to run into problems at times. I must be blessed as I've had very few issues for some time now. One thing that works for me, and quite possibly you're already doing it - There's always a dollar figure assigned when talking to customers and writing WO's. I don't do free brake inspections, I charge for diagnostic testing, I don't run loss leaders as in $19.95 LOF...I also got the attitude of this isn't my vehicle and the only challenges I need are to pay the bills. I'm not here to subsidize a broke consumer for the challenge of fixing their worn out POS, just so I can get bragging rights on I fixed something that no one else could. I'm not shy when it comes to asking to get paid for what I do. This usually stops the problems (consumers) before I even get started. My position is, sometimes the blessings I receive, are things and people I don't have to deal with.

As I writing this I had an experience today that's not the worst in the world, but...A consumer, who years ago was a 'customer' came in for an oil leak. He wants his oil pan gasket tightened as it started leaking after another shop installed a radiator on his 2003 Yukon, 5.3L. He called me on the radiator and I guess I was too expensive as he never came in. I mention that tightening/torqueing the oil pan is not going to stop the leak and to save his money for the real repair. He didn't want to listen and said to tighten the bolts to 'stop the oil leak.' He waits around and mentions that's a lot of money in tools...I rack it and do what he asks. The oil pan gasket is leaking, but the main leak is from the rear main seal/housing. I give a price and send him on his way. 4 hours later he calls and says it still leaking and he wants to bring it back and be right next to me when I retorque the bolts again.

You know that's insulting me, don't you? You're inferring I just moved a torque wrench around and put on a show. I told you to save your money...Never mind, have a nice life! :D
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

So much t say about issues like that one but I just can't go into that room. As soon as I saw and read what was typed my blood pressure shot through the roof. As we all know he right and you're wrong. No matter what you're going to loose this one. I've got a million of em.

Return to “GM Cars”