Bringing A 1961 Cadillac Back To Life

Specific repair issues for all GM cars + FWD vans
Miked1

Bringing A 1961 Cadillac Back To Life

Post by Miked1 »

We have a customer bringing in their 1961 Cadillac that has been in storage since 1985. What suggestions would be offered to see if the this vehicle can be brought back to life. The body is great shape (including the convertible top). The initial plan is to crank the engine by hand to see if it will spin. If successful any thoughts on soaking the cylinders to help the rings prior to firing or what else would be recommended? Thanks.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: Bringing A 1961 Cadillac Back To Life

Post by steven kiser »

When these little gems are flat bedded into my shop and over the years there have been a lot I try to spin the motor by hand. If it moves I pull out all the plugs and pour at least 1/2 a cup of Marvel Mystery oil into them and by hand slowly spin the engine over about 5 or 10 times then let it soak over night. If the engine doesn't move ( I've found a few where the Bendix on the starter was engaged and holding the ring gear) I pull the plugs and literally fill each cylinder with Mystery Oil and let it soak over a weekend. I'll use a flywheel tool to try to move it, I've seen snapped crank pulley bolts so I stay clear of those. With the flywheel tool I tug it back and forth and if I can fit a long solid screwdriver AKA pry bar onto the ring gear I'll use that for more leverage. This is where rings snap so be careful. If the engine is free or breaks free I'll try to use the starter to spin it over multiple times over a day or so. This gets the oil all over the walls of the cylinder and eases the possibility of scoring and rings getting hot (from starting) and any rust or sludge in them especially the cylinder wash rings (oil ring set) will get baked in and will allow oil to blow by and burn. A point I forgot to mention, once the engine spins I drain the fuel and look at, pretty much replace any rubber fuel hose because I know it will start to seep somewhere along the run. On your Caddy, the hood is a monster so be real careful lifting it because a frozen hinge will snap or damage the hood, also fully inspect the rag top for stitching rot or separation. It also may have frozen hinge pivots so be careful there also. OK, so the engine has bee spun enough to give good odds on the rings and cylinder issues and also covered all the rod bearings with oil. When a vehicle sits for a long time the rod ends are not all in the oil and will somewhat dry up. Now it's time to see if it will fire. I usually disconnect the fuel line going into carb and attach a hose feeding from a can away from the vehicle. The fuel pump is more than likely dry and will leak so running the car with it dry is of no worry. If the oil was full when it came in I'll run it until the engine warms up then change it. Being old school I let the old oil pick up all the crap not wasting 5 quarts of new oil. I'll fire it up again and let it reach operating temp all the while keeping a close eye on the engine, power steering hoses, alternator or generator overheating, cooling system, leaking heater core, etc. Another point that's minor but also important, I take a piece of plywood that will cover the whole bottom of the front seat so I won't crack it or tear any stitching. Now, this is where I get real serious especially if it's been a garage ornament for years. I make sure the heat riser isn't frozen especially in the closed position, As a rule tires are junk along with the complete brake system, water pump, hoses, alternator, and power steering hoses possibly but most likely especially if they are swollen anywhere, belts, plugs, ignition points and condenser, cap, rotor, wires, etc. We inspect the ventilation system for critter issues and such. Any moisture issues and mold. Usually I charge anywhere from 300 to a thousand to either get it or attempt to get it running. This labor charge includes quotes for all above if it fires up and if it doesn't what it could possibly cost to get it running. I will at a minimum double my shop rate per hour and before I go any further require a base thousand dollars and will work off of that. If I get it running and the customer doesn't want anything else done I have he work order signed as a further work refusal, a letter of acknowledgement we only got it running and have it towed off my lot hopefully to the owner home. I've seen to many results of just getting vehicles like this running and one involved the death of a friend of mine back in the late 70's. He got an old car he bought fired up and after a few days of driving around town took it on the interstate, lost the brakes, got over onto the breakdown lane and the right wheels dug into the soft shoulder and it flipped into a wall of ledge. I guess I'm trying to say is be prudent and since customers with cars like this want it running quickly so they can enjoy it doesn't make it safe to do so.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Ya, Ya, I know I'm back again. I tell people like this you can't restore a car while you drive it. You can however do it in groups. This car if it were in my shop if customer agreed to it would get a minimum of the hydraulics in the brake system rebuilt, water pump, hoses, t/stat, tires, suspension service, charging system, major tune. Basically all safety and operational issues dealt with. Could care less about cosmetics or accessories. Also a good solid look at all the casting or freeze plugs including the little suckers on the back of the head and behind the motor mounts. If this vehicle is going to be sitting for long periods and I'm going to replace the plugs I'll use Marine ones if possible. They are brass composite and will last forever. Another thing I've found is to people like this it's all about visual. A couple of cans of paint and a few extra hours will make a huge difference and don't be shy about charging for it. I have a good selection of POR paint for situations like this. It's almost like a good Port based gravy on tender rib roast. It puts it over the top. Now I'm done. :lol: :lol:
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Miked1

Post by Miked1 »

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the old school wisdom. I appreciate you taking the time to offer a great suggestion.

Thanks

Return to “GM Cars”