1990 Buick ELectra Wiring

Specific repair issues for all GM cars + FWD vans
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

1990 Buick ELectra Wiring

Post by Tim Martin »

I have this 1990 Buick Electra Park Avenue Ultra with an issue that the right rear power window goes up but not down. My diagnosis has led me to an open wire between the master switch and the right rear door switch. I am wondering how can I find that broken wire if I do not know where the wiring goes through this vehicle from the master switch to the right rear door?

Desperate and frustrated!
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 1990 Buick ELectra Wiring

Post by ricmorin »

My first approach with opens like this is to physically check the areas where the wiring moves. First check for broken wires in the pass-through area where the door bends. Almost always breaks there. Then it's hunt and destroy. I have a wiring diagnostic tool that you attach to the source (transmitter) and a wand that can trace the circuit. Very handy.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

ricmorin wrote: I have a wiring diagnostic tool that you attach to the source (transmitter) and a wand that can trace the circuit. Very handy.
Ya, I have a Fault Finder tool that gets it fair share of use. The issue Im having in this case is that I have no idea where the wiring goes. Do I just start removing interior body things to trace it? I was hoping someone would give me an idea of the routing of the wiring so I dont need to start tearing apart.
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Also, I am needing a window channel for the left rear window. Cannot find anything, new or used. Anyone have ideas?
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

Tim Martin wrote:Also, I am needing a window channel for the left rear window. Cannot find anything, new or used. Anyone have ideas?
No interchange on window channel, so I used Rear Window Regulator; looks like 88-91 would work. Not sure where you are, I entered a Pittsburgh zip for the search: http://car-part.com/

You can sort by distance, price, condition, etc. The point is to find a car standing and get what you need.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

When I have any type of electrical / wiring issues where power windows, power door locks, speakers, door ajar light, etc I go right to the master switch and check if it's reversing polarity for that circuit and if it is peel back the rubber collar that goes between drivers door and vehicle. As a rule or at least 75% of the time I find broken wires. Please don't just splice the wire because there will be many wiring issues to follow. Usually if there is one wire broken five or six have cracks in the insulation an are ready to break. Also, if the problem is in rear passenger door or the wiring between it and the car (really, really, doubtful) I still will peel the sleeve back and do a thorough inspection. It's a tedious job, especially if the braid is broken and insulation looks good it can screw with you.

Years ago, I starter giving each wire a good solid tug making sure it's solid. Good luck and take your time and really inspect all the wires. Many times I'll have customers that I've rewired the drivers door for call thrilled that other options have started working. My friend up north in New Hampshire preaches seeing things through with quality parts and workmanship. On occasion I'll think about doing a job like this by splicing that particular wire inside the rubber sleeve like I would fifteen or twenty years ago, but things he's posted or said in the rare times we have spoken pops up and the harness is unplugged and pulled through the pillar post so I can rewire it professionally and thoroughly. I get paid well for this service and if the customer is looking just for a quick splice and will not listen to me (no matter what is said or promises of not coming back expecting me to deal with the other broken wires at no charge and we all know this will and has happened) I will tell the customer I'm extremely grateful for the opportunity to work on the vehicle but I'm choosing not to continue and will supply them a list of shops that will just do a battle field repair.

Thanks for ready my ramble once again.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
scgms1
50 Club: Regular Contributor
50 Club: Regular Contributor

Post by scgms1 »

I'm getting here late and you quite possibly have found this...

It sounds more likely to be a bad switch - master, or on the door. In order for the window to roll up, or down, the wiring has to be intact from the RR switch to the master. This is a reversible motor and if one of the wires was broken it wouldn't go up, or down.

The wiring runs from the LF door, up through the dash, down the sill/floor, to the B pillar. Most of the time as has been mentioned the breaks occur at the door where the wiring flexes.

Return to “GM Cars”