2003 Buick Park Ave - Data Link Splice Pack Location?

Specific repair issues for all GM cars + FWD vans
sbebenelli
750 Club: World Class Contributor

2003 Buick Park Ave - Data Link Splice Pack Location?

Post by sbebenelli »

I have a 2003 Buick Park Ave 3.8 VIN 1G4CW54K734133710. I'm looking for the splice pack with the buss bar in it that connects all the modules. I'm having no luck at all finding it. Can anyone help me out?
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: Data link splice pack location

Post by ricmorin »

The wiring diagram does not show a splice for that vehicle. The IP fuse block acts as the main splice and the rear fuse block is the secondary splice. Old school serial data buss.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
sbebenelli

Post by sbebenelli »

ricmorin wrote:The wiring diagram does not show a splice for that vehicle. The IP fuse block acts as the main splice and the rear fuse block is the secondary splice. Old school serial data buss.
Thank you! Truthfully I am not familiar with that system. Got a bunch of communication codes in the modules and the PCM sometimes will not communicate and the ABS module will not communicate at times. Not at the same time though. PCM will not communicate more times than not. The ABS has been communicating for awhile now. The radio would not shut off but has not done that since.

I have the Snap On data buss fault finder I was going to hook up and see if I can figure out what module might be at fault. I guess I'll have to go to plan B.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

The radio is not on the same network as the PCM and ABS. The only thing in common is the IP fuse block. If you look at the computer diagram you'll see that those two modules are the furthest away from the DLC, so another module upstream may be at fault. Usually I query all the modules, the ones without comm codes are suspect at first since the ones with codes 'know' what they aren't seeing.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
rhillig
500 Club: Champion Contributor
500 Club: Champion Contributor

Post by rhillig »

Something to possibly check is if mice have been doing their business in the fuse box/block. We have had quite a few problems this spring with crazy codes & parts not wanting to communicate with each other, only to find out that the mice were using the fuse box/block as a restroom & causing the modules to short out from that.
A year from now you will wish you had started TODAY ~ Karen Lamb
sbebenelli

Post by sbebenelli »

I had originally said the ABS module would not communicate at times. I was wrong about that. The only module that would not communicate was the PCM. I checked all the power and grounds at the PCM. I grounded the class 2 data lines at the PCM with a back probe and that would cause the other modules not to communicate telling me the data lines were good.

PCM was bad. Installed new one today and communication is back.

Return to “GM Cars”