1999 Cadillac STS - VIN 9 P0300 Misfire

Specific repair issues for all GM cars + FWD vans
Rafael

1999 Cadillac STS - VIN 9 P0300 Misfire

Post by Rafael »

I have a 99 Cadillac STS 4.9L VIN 9 that came in with a P0300. The only cylinder showing a misfire count is Cyl#3. I've scoped the ignition pattern looked ok on #3 & #8 its companion cyl. I've checked compression on all cylinders in spec ranges from 165-170 and on a running compression test they are all 85. I've swapped injectors, plugs, coil, wires & module. Ive smoke tested for a vacumm leak none found. Vacuum is 17 and steady.

I've driven the car and the miss is only at idle; off idles, its gone. Ive checked backpressure on the exhuast system and its 0. EGR valve is operating OK and not sticking.
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Re: 99 cadillac sts 4.9l vin9 with misfire

Post by Tim Martin »

Had one recently that acted the same way. I had used ig coil so I stuck it on for testing purpose and the miss was gone. Evidently something about the coil. It tested ok but misfired. That was same cylinders. Good luck.
Rafael

Post by Rafael »

i swapped coils
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Have also seen vacuum leaks on them intake manifolds that will be difficult to track. On the one I saw some time back the vacuum leak was on the inside and was extremely hard to find. I'd think that vacuum should be more than 17". Perhaps there is a valve or piston ring issue, but on second thought a compression check should reveal that. What is fuel pressure?
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 1999 Cadillac STS - VIN 9 P0300 Misfire

Post by steven kiser »

a worn cam or other valve related isses will give you all the same readings and iaaues that you're experiencing.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Goose
50 Club: Regular Contributor
50 Club: Regular Contributor

Post by Goose »

If this car is not fixed yet I would do a cylinder leakage test to determine if you have a valve sealing problem. A leakage test will show that but a compression test will not if it is slight enough. How severe is the miss? I had a missfire on a Chrysler a while back that set a code but could not be felt by the driver. I ran Seafoam through it and killed the engine and let it soak. I then ran it hard. It cured the problem and the light never came back on. Hope this helps.
David Brown

Post by David Brown »

The Cadillac From 1999 Should Be A 4.6L. My Only Advice Is To Checkl For A Vacuum Leak Near The Power Steering Pump. The Backfire Flap Is Bad About Having A Vacum Leak That Only Shows Up As A Misfire At Times.

Return to “GM Cars”