2004 Olds Alero - 3.4L Multiple Dash Lights On

Specific repair issues for all GM cars + FWD vans
LB
25 Club: Starting Contributor

2004 Olds Alero - 3.4L Multiple Dash Lights On

Post by LB »

Customer presented us with a 2004 Olds Alero 3.4L with numerous lights on the dash lit up:
ABS light
Park brake light
Traction control (staying lit)
service engine soon light

This person is not a regular customer, comes in every so often for an oil change with a list of 'things'.

We hooked our scanner up and was not able to retrieve any codes whatsoever, nor does the vehicle exhibit any running issue, shifts fine, drives fine,. (plugs are fine, fuel filter, air filter). We also did a charging system check as well, all is well there.

I checked TSB's as well searched through the forums and did not see anything that may explain as to why this is happening.

Thank you ;)

Was looking to see if anyone else out there has experienced this kind of scenario.
wbuxton
1000 Club: Interstellar
1000 Club: Interstellar

Re: 2004 Olds Alero - 3.4L Multiple Dash Lights On

Post by wbuxton »

I worked for my father in law and we replaced an ECM from a wrecking yard. Dealer reflashed it and fixed it. Don't know if this would help in your situation.
Uncle PETA said I could come back.
William
Weatherford, TX
817-599-7680
866-744-3887
http://www.phoenixtrans.com
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

Do these lights prove out and go off, then return? Or are they just on. Maybe an issue with the cluster?
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

i'de take a hard look at the ground cluster in the harness either where it crosses the core support or where it loops under the inner fender on the drivers side. i've found plenty of these either corrouded of broken.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Never seen it happen so im useless
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

whoa wait a minute here, never say you're useless. on occasion i've had "useless" people say something that either nails it or makes me look in a different way to solve the problem. sometimes just breaking the train of thought for a split second makes me see it in a whole new way. on occasion i feel like a blood hound, i'll have a feeling i'm on the wrong path but just can't break off it and something like a stupid statement or a joke or one of my favorite songs on the radio will break my concentration. so please never say "useless". :D
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Bobt1

Post by Bobt1 »

Classic symptoms of a bad wheel speed sensor(hub), Here in the rust belt we see alot of this.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

good point. it may be a series of issues and he finally brought it in for repair when he started squinting from the warning lites. :lol: now that i've been reminded i bet the check engine lite has been on for a while and a bad hub can cause an abs, and traction control, the brake light you speak of may be a two stage light where it will lite up for e/brake and really lite up for a brake failure issue thus tying it into the hub as well as kevin bacon................. :lol:

Return to “GM Cars”