2002 Buick Century - Intermittent No Start

Specific repair issues for all GM cars + FWD vans
GFORCEAUTO
25 Club: Starting Contributor

2002 Buick Century - Intermittent No Start

Post by GFORCEAUTO »

Hello all, Got a 02 Century 3.1L/J that intermittantly will crank and not start. Murphys law we could not get unit to act up. Checked the fuel pump wave pattern on the scope and it was showing a weak pump. We suggested that a pump would not hurt and our expierance tells us thats most likely what the problem is. customer oked FP. Delphi pump installed and connector was changed also fuse for FP .Worked ok for 2 weeks and whamo no start for 6 to 7 times then it starts.Customer called and it was acting up.drove to his location and checked Spark was ok. Sprayed carb clean in snorkle and it runs. customer dropped off and we had for a week and drove unit everyday same sinerio and workes ok for us would NOT act up again. Started every time. WE checked the wires at the accumilator for rubbing all ok and replaced the FP relay. chased the wiring to the relay from the PCM and cleand all grounds, Fuel pressure is with in spects and only drops 10 psi in that hour soak even over night it dropped to 15 psi and on key up pressured right up to 55 psi. Still could not get to act up.Has customer switch keys with wife also. Customer takes car and 4 days later would not start for 25 min they gave up and got a ride home. They were here first thing in the AM. We go to get the car and after sitting all night starts up all ok. It's here now any Ideas ?? HELP
Fuel pressure ok
Spark OK
7 x crank sensor all ok
Wiring all ok to pump and to relay from PCM
No codes
No security codes
Matthew J. Clawson
Owner/ASE Master
G Force Automotive
Michigan
liljoe
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Re: 02 Century Intermittant no start

Post by liljoe »

If possable check the coolant temp reading when it won't start. Might be reading high and not giving enough pulse width. I have a thing called CRecorder that hooks up to the OBD2 connector and records most of the data with time stamps on it. It will record for 24 hrs and then you download the info to the pc and look at all the data. You can play it back in real time or speed it up and look at data or graph it and see what is going on. It has its limits, but is neat addition to the tool box. Cost is only like 70 or 80 bucks.
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 02 Century Intermittant no start

Post by steven kiser »

you sprayed carb cleaner into it and it started, was there fuel pressure? if yes then i would check the pcm for updates and re-burn. there were a few instances where the injectors wouldn't pulse because of pcm issues. i believe there have been issues with the cam sensor wiring and it caused an intermittent no start as well. there may be an updated harness available for this. i'de check the grounds that break out of the harness and ground to engine. if there is corrosion or a loose connection that may be your issue. good luck. don't let it kick your butt............
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Re: 2002 Buick Century - Intermittent No Start

Post by Tim Martin »

These intermittants are sooooooooooooo nice to us guys.

I've seen cam and crank sensor issues with them as well. But an intermittant like that is tough to catch. Yeah, I'd also be lookin at a computer reflash as well.
GFORCEAUTO
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Post by GFORCEAUTO »

OK sorry for the delay just wanted to let all of you know what fixed the issue. Had the customer come back and we reflashed the PCM to the latest calibration and whamo it has not been back for the no start condition. the customer stopped by and told me it has been fine since. Thank to Steve for reminding me of a simple thing we used to do all the time at the dealer.
Matthew J. Clawson
Owner/ASE Master
G Force Automotive
Michigan
Jeff @ Able Auto

Post by Jeff @ Able Auto »

Thanks for the follow up!
Jeff Fitzgerald - retired
Treasure Coast of Florida
"there will be enough time to sleep when we're dead"
a&mauto
500 Club: Champion Contributor
500 Club: Champion Contributor

Post by a&mauto »

Better late than never..................
Adam Jadovitz
A & M Automotive
Lake Elsinore, CA
951-245-1562
http://www.aandmautorepair.com
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Did you have to relearn theft after flashing?
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Bobt1

Post by Bobt1 »

We have found in the past that relearning the theft system can get you anywhere from a day to a year, we always do a real good check on the passkey sensor and ignition lock cylinder, From our experience the problem is usually there.

Good Luck

Return to “GM Cars”