2003 Buick Rendezvous - "AWD Disable"FIXED

Specific repair issues for all GM cars + FWD vans
protraxrptr17
100 Club: Active Contributor

2003 Buick Rendezvous - "AWD Disable"FIXED

Post by protraxrptr17 »

This car belongs to a car lot. I replaced a stepper motor in the cluster last week and noticed that the message center was unplugged and the MIL was blacked out with silicone :evil: when I had the cluster apart. After I plugged in the message center it reads "AWD disable". They want it fixed but I can find no codes other than a fuel tank pressure volts high, that is intermittent. The Awd message still comes up even when the code isn't present. No other codes in any other modules. All the tire sizes match. In the owners manual it reads that the Awd is disabled when you have the spare tire on. Any suggestions other than unplugging the message center? :lol:
Last edited by protraxrptr17 on Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 03 Buick Rendezvous "AWD Disable"

Post by ricmorin »

The AWD disable light usually comes on when the wheels are turning at different speeds. Check your tires carefully for size differential. You can monitor wheel speed in the ABS controller. Perhaps a sensor is out slightly, but usually it's wheel size. These are very sensitive. Check for codes in the ABS system too. Might lead you somewhere.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

You can also lab scope the sensors
fortknoxx
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by fortknoxx »

does it look like maybe 1 or 2 tires were replaced? simple test. take chalk and mark side of tire near ground with a line to the ground. drive around the parking lot. have some one spot you for d/s front tire chalk mark to be straight up and down, just like when you started. inspect all lines, are they all straight up and down? if not you have diff size (physical) not metric size stamped on sidewall. 1 or more tires have been replaced.

purchase 4 new tires awd disabled light should go off. this is a nice feature, better than replacing a transfer case.
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)
Gone but not forgotten...Camper Bob's

609-760-7079 Cell
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

what about the wiring? could this be related? a short in the harness? i agree with ric and would drive vehicle with my scanner reading the abs sensor. if one is reading off it would shut down the awd. sounds like the dreaded "many hands, many ideas, black out the light, syndrome" :shock: wonder what was done to repair the problem before it was blacked out. saw a bulletin on awd but it said about other codes. 03-05-25-004A
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
protraxrptr17

Post by protraxrptr17 »

I think I found something after I posted yesterday.Havent had time to go into it yet, but there are a few lines of data that is really the only way to see why its disabled. There aren't really any DTC's for the AWD. My problem seems to be indicated by the line "AWD CKT status ----- OPEN". Supposedly the PCM can detect an open, short, or good circuit. Why they didn't make a DTC for that is beyond me but at least I figured it out. I'll post up what I find.

There is a TSB on the hubs, but it will throw a code in the ABS module. The tires are all the same size and brand. That is only relevant after the vehicle is in motion. This message comes up immediately after clearing it even sitting still. I'm pretty sure there is gonna be a broken wire, loose connection, or bad AWD solenoid.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

good hunting. i'm glad to hear that others take their work home. many, many, times i've woken up with the answer to a problem. lately i've been forgetting them after i go back to sleep. ya i know. write them down dummy. i do them i can't read my writing. :lol: :lol: :lol: sad part is i'm serious. i call the shop from my cell and leave myself a message. sometime that's interesting as well.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Jeff @ Able Auto

Post by Jeff @ Able Auto »

" Shop this is Steve. Its 3plm and I just wi=oke up and figuered out why the #$%^#$&^% GREEN FORD wont start. Call me back "
Jeff Fitzgerald - retired
Treasure Coast of Florida
"there will be enough time to sleep when we're dead"
protraxrptr17

Re: 2003 Buick Rendezvous - "AWD Disable"

Post by protraxrptr17 »

Found a rusty terminal in the plug on the solenoid, but I also had no continuity between any of the terminals on the solenoid. I ordered a new solenoid and plug and it won't be here till friday. We'll see.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Jeff @ Able Auto wrote:" Shop this is Steve. Its 3plm and I just wi=oke up and figuered out why the #$%^#$&^% GREEN FORD wont start. Call me back "
man, sometimes it goes just like that.........
protraxrptr17

Re: 2003 Buick Rendezvous - "AWD Disable"FIXED

Post by protraxrptr17 »

Replaced the plug and solenoid and fixed it.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

great find. thanks for posting the fix................
Jeff @ Able Auto

Post by Jeff @ Able Auto »

Good job! Thanks for the follow up!
Jeff Fitzgerald - retired
Treasure Coast of Florida
"there will be enough time to sleep when we're dead"

Return to “GM Cars”