1994 Pont SSEi - 3.8L SC Fuel Pressure

Specific repair issues for all GM cars + FWD vans
mopwrforme
200 Club: Major Contributor

1994 Pont SSEi - 3.8L SC Fuel Pressure

Post by mopwrforme »

1994 Bonneville ssei 3.8L supercharged i have low fuel preasure apx. 34psi unplug and cap off the reg. the preasure will go up to specs at this point i was prepared to install a new fuel pump until my gm mech. tells me there is a fuel pump control module i need to bypass to insure its not the cause of the low preasure. after much hunt and peck im having no luck. i can find info on 96 and newer but nothing on this 94.question being is it equiped and if so where is it at. yes i did ck. in the 96 model and newer location and found nothing.

thanks again
perfection-automotive.net
liljoe
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Re: 1994 Pont SSEi - 3.8L SC Fuel Pressure

Post by liljoe »

Not seeing anything on the 94, on the later ones, it uses a ballast resistor to drop the voltage to fuel pump under low load conditions, it is located by the coolant/windshield jugs. The relay center has a relay for the low speed operation on the ones that have it. The pressure sems to be doing what it should, if it builds to 45 with the hose off, that says pump building pressure ( does not rule it completely out). What kind of problem are you chasing?
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

That fuel pressure is borderline. What is the drivability issue? I can help you maybe.
mopwrforme

Post by mopwrforme »

p0171 fuel system lean engine will surge. after i blocked off the reg. fuel preasure went too 42 psi i then cleared the memory and its been running fine since. i just didnt want to replace the pump. to find its not the root cause.
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

Well it sounds like the fuel pump is capable of making the correct pressure. I'd be leaning towards a regulator. I'd also do a volume test on that pump before I threw one in.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
mopwrforme

Post by mopwrforme »

great idea this vehical is for resale at this point. ive gottin a bit backed up and will post new findings in a day or two. i will ck volume at that point. thank you for your help too all. ive just this august went on my own, after being a chrysler line tech for 20+ yrs fords and gm products are challenging to say the least. ive got a lot to catch up on but im living the dream. and this forum is great for a shop like mine. that is to say me and tonto thank you all. also i will be on the mopar side to see if i can lend help with what im great at. thanks again 8) 8) 8)
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

What have you checked. Is the vehicle warming up all the way? Have you checked for vacuum leaks. Is there any signs of fuel in the regulator hose? What about the maf
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

it sounds like a regulator issue to me.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “GM Cars”