2001 Saturn L-300 - Unknown DTCs

Specific repair issues for all GM cars + FWD vans
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

2001 Saturn L-300 - Unknown DTCs

Post by Tim Martin »

I got this 2001 Saturn L-300 with a 3.0L engine/auto trans, 98,000 miles on the clock. The issue is that the speedo is very erratic, and several unknown codes are in PCM, such as B3B01, P12BB, P0011. There also is PO280, PO502, PO563, PO603, P1780. Where can I find info on the first 3 that are not listed in service info? Does this mean the PCM is out to lunch? On the scan tool, the data is way off, such as temp of -40, rpm of 179, etc etc. I am supposed to fix it but its got me stumped. Ain't seen this before.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2001 Saturn L-300 - Unknown DTCs

Post by steven kiser »

i've never seen this in a saturn, but then i don't see a lot in my shop either. if i were to jump into this i would look for a wiring issue. i see a lot of critter related issues. if there are any signs of an accident then that's where i'd key in on. having a tech 2 may have helped a bit more. the point of questioning the scanner can be resolved by attaching it to another vehicle. there have be rare occasions that i've screwed up the key's on my snap on scanner and overlooking the obvious spent a little time banging my head on the wall. i've also had good luck googling the problem as well as using direct hit or iatn. direct hit is the one i lean on. it's just a personal issue.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Well steve, I understand what you mean by second guessing my scan tool. It works fine on other vehicles that are in the shop. I am forced to conclude that this Saturn has an issue of some proportion. I am leaning towards a faulty PCM but unfortunately there is no GM dealer close by us that I can send it to. Due to circumstances GM shut down the local dealerships and left us hanging high and dry, so to speak.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

feel you dilemma. is there anyway you can get your hands on a tech 2? i've had good luck on occasion in getting a used pcm from a car that has all the same options as the one i'm working on and solved any issue i was having.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Wouldn't know where to go for a Tech2 scanner. Many shops in this area have no scanner at all let alone a Tech2.
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Here is an update. I erased the codes, went on a test run of at least 10 miles. Nothing developed. CEL is off and car runs fine. Rather strange by my estimation. Were these codes simply a freak thing?
Jeff @ Able Auto
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by Jeff @ Able Auto »

Tim years ago...before OBDII I had a Ford with "wierd" codes. Was actually working at a Ford garage. After several days of hair pulling I called Ford Tech Line. Was told to replace the PCM, the "weird" codes were engineering codes that should not have been availiable to the star scanner. Installed a new PCM and it went away!
Jeff Fitzgerald - retired
Treasure Coast of Florida
"there will be enough time to sleep when we're dead"
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Jeff @ Able Auto wrote:Tim years ago...before OBDII I had a Ford with "wierd" codes. Was actually working at a Ford garage. After several days of hair pulling I called Ford Tech Line. Was told to replace the PCM, the "weird" codes were engineering codes that should not have been availiable to the star scanner. Installed a new PCM and it went away!
I heard of that before and am suspicious of that being the case with this one.

Whats interesting, after erasing codes and going on a test drive, several new codes popped up, such as C1332, U1101, as well as PO172 and PO175 along with a PB3B01.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

IS THE CHARGING SYSTEM WORKING PROPERLY? CHECK FOR SPIKES. not yelling, didn't see caps until i started and am to damn lazy to restart. :lol:
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Saturns have tons of pcm issues. Good luck getting a good one. It will also possibly have to be flashed.

Return to “GM Cars”