2001 Cad DeVille - 4.6L Oil Pan FIXED

Specific repair issues for all GM cars + FWD vans
erlesauto
25 Club: Starting Contributor

2001 Cad DeVille - 4.6L Oil Pan FIXED

Post by erlesauto »

I've got a 2001 Cadillac Deville 4.6 y engine needing an oil pan gasket; any suggestions on the best way to do this ?

Thanks
Last edited by erlesauto on Sun May 29, 2011 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2001 deville oil pan

Post by ricmorin »

Engine comes out. No fun!

Check TSB 03-06-01-027A
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

See steve trick of a candle and gas can in the other post. :lol:
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Post by Tim Martin »

brianp87 wrote:See steve trick of a candle and gas can in the other post. :lol:
So that's what he does! I wondered already.

Well, I have done these already and yes, the engine has to come out the bottom along with the transmission. I then separate the trans and put the engine on a stand, rotate it upside down and start disassembly. By the way, if you get to this point, seal up the other leaks on this engine. They are many. This is one of those jobs where the customer has to be committed to going all the way or not at all. At least that's the way I do it. If we can't seal up the whole engine I won't do it cause it will leak somewhere else.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Tim Martin wrote:

Well, I have done these already and yes, the engine has to come out the bottom along with the transmission. I then separate the trans and put the engine on a stand, rotate it upside down and start disassembly. By the way, if you get to this point, seal up the other leaks on this engine. They are many. This is one of those jobs where the customer has to be committed to going all the way or not at all. At least that's the way I do it. If we can't seal up the whole engine I won't do it cause it will leak somewhere else.
And if it does ur the bad guy. I cant remember but isnt there a special tool for the rear main?
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

brianp87 wrote:
Tim Martin wrote:

And if it does ur the bad guy. I cant remember but isnt there a special tool for the rear main?
Yea man. And when the flexplate comes off ya gotta get new bolts to install it.
steven kiser

Re: 2001 Cad DeVille - 4.6L Oil Pan

Post by steven kiser »

another issue here, and i know we already know this but it's worth repeating, you need to take into consideration collateral damage. the single most important issue (to me) is the fact that the engine may "sound" different when the customer gets it back. i let the customer know that there is a good chance they'll need new motor mounts. if they come through jell filled then that's what goes back in. i will not use the solid option. a while ago i purchased a good under hood support assembly. the one i have is a bolt on and i can support the engine and transmission while they are separated. not on this particular application but i would take a good look to see if i could use this and drop the cradle not the mill.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

steve, your suggestion of dropping the subframe instead of the entire engine is a possibility I suppose. I have not done that on these engine due to the many other leaks this engine may have. But you do bring up some legitimate points.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

One of my techs is an ex-GM guy. He did some of these and once he tried to do it in-car. You can get the lower pan off but many leak at the upper portion too. He regretted trying to save some time.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
erlesauto
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Post by erlesauto »

Dropped Engine/trans in cradle then split. Sold cust a Jasper Reman when found head gaskets and mid section leaking
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

erlesauto wrote:Dropped Engine/trans in cradle then split. Sold cust a Jasper Reman when found head gaskets and mid section leaking
Good job! Way to go! Keep up the good work.

Return to “GM Cars”