1986 Chev Corvette - ABS Light

Specific repair issues for all GM cars + FWD vans
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

1986 Chev Corvette - ABS Light

Post by ricmorin »

Hello everyone,

We got this beast here with an ABS light. Comes on after a little driving. It's a Bosch C4 system and there is no way to communicate with it without a KentMoore J35890. Needless to say I don't own one. Anyone have any experience with these? Any suggestions? I was going to just scope the speed sensors but I don't want to spend much time if I'm not going to fix this thing.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Re: 86 Corvette ABS

Post by brianp87 »

sorry.
steven kiser

Re: 1986 Chev Corvette - ABS Light

Post by steven kiser »

i feel for you on this one. i wouldn't even start to look at this unless i got a commitment from the customer. i see these on occasion where a person brings something in that no one else will work on and all my rules of diagnostic charges go out the window. if they want to diagnose it, i will, and charge accordingly. however i will not roll the charge into the job like i will on many other instances. i would have disclaimers that make the ones at hospitals look like a one sentence blurb. just a quickie here, look and see if any hydraulic parts have been replaced and see if the pressure switch lead at the prop valve is disconnected and or grounded. if there is any air in the system it will trigger the abs light. if i recall when pressure bleeding and we all know pressure is the only way to get the air out, you have to manually (if you don't have the oem tool) activate the pump and module to flush out all the air. now i'm going from memory here but i think the only issue that will cause the light to come on at start up is an electrical failure at the module such as relay missing, main abs (motor) fuse blown or i've seen the main plug at the module disconnected because of easily activated abs. in my area with sand on the roads 24, 265 older g.m abs systems activate so easily that owners want the shut down. my daughter had an older blazer and there was always sand near the stop sign at the bottom of a long hill near her house and if she stepped on the brakes in the sand the abs would trigger and she would coast through into the intersection. basically i'm giving the long version of "make sure the customer knows" what they're getting into. maybe it was disconnected for a reason. all the early versions of abs were more dangerous when the were working than when disabled. at least when driven in areas where there was sand on the road.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
marcdaniels
100 Club: Active Contributor
100 Club: Active Contributor

Post by marcdaniels »

Its been a while since we had one of that vintage here but if my memory serves me won't the mastertech communicate with it with the correct adapter? I know our mastertech has a special adapter for the vettes and F-bodies due to higher speed communications. Just a thought if you have one or could get your hands on one.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

marcdaniels wrote:Its been a while since we had one of that vintage here but if my memory serves me won't the mastertech communicate with it with the correct adapter? I know our mastertech has a special adapter for the vettes and F-bodies due to higher speed communications. Just a thought if you have one or could get your hands on one.
I wish that were so. I have both a Mastertech and a Tech2. No go. The ONLY communication is with the J tool. And you have to plug the J tool directly inline with the main controller connector from what I can see. I sent the car down the road.
603-622-6434 x203

brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

I woulda done the same. unless i was sitting on my hands.
wbuxton
1000 Club: Interstellar

Post by wbuxton »

A good run is better than a bad stand.
Uncle PETA said I could come back.
William
Weatherford, TX
817-599-7680
866-744-3887
http://www.phoenixtrans.com
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

I'm way too busy right now. I'd gladly do it if I were equipped or there was a decent workaround. I'm booking middle of next week as it is. It's going to be in the high 90's this week and AC work is crazy. Feast or Famine.
603-622-6434 x203

wbuxton

Post by wbuxton »

High 90's??? Our snow plows rust up down here when it gets that hot, I think. Ain't seen a snow plow since I went to Colorado.
Uncle PETA said I could come back.
William
Weatherford, TX
817-599-7680
866-744-3887
http://www.phoenixtrans.com

Return to “GM Cars”