1999 Chev Cavalier - L HLP Dim; Fuse Blows? FIXED

Specific repair issues for all GM cars + FWD vans
nickscarcare
750 Club: World Class Contributor

1999 Chev Cavalier - L HLP Dim; Fuse Blows? FIXED

Post by nickscarcare »

I have this cavalier in here that blows the left headlamp fuse.

I thought i had it fixed, but took it out and drove it, and it blew again. Someone has been in here and already rewired in both headlamp sockets. The drl relay was bad. It is a kids car and has all kinds of aftermarket crap in it. I am wondering if it could be in the drl system, it is only the l/f that blows and goes dim. It does have and aftermarket gauge face on it. I can not find the ground that says it is on the l/f fender, this pos has a body kit, and even the mounts for the headlamp buckets have been cut. I only have mitchell for wiring, and was wondering if anyone has a different or better wiring diagram that they could fax me. 507-345-6218fax
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 99 Cavalier l/f headlamp dim, fuse blows

Post by steven kiser »

follow the harness. i think that this one goes under the inner fender near the washer reservoir. i've found a lot of issues where the harness loops up. waster builds up in the casing and corrodes the connectors. for some reason many of the harness splits are there........................
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
fortknoxx
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Re: 1999 Chev Cavalier - L HLP Dim; Fuse Blows?

Post by fortknoxx »

check the head light bulbs themselves, is there a bo-bo kit like this in there?
Attachments
cav hid.JPG
cav hid.JPG (44.96 KiB) Viewed 2994 times
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)
Gone but not forgotten...Camper Bob's

609-760-7079 Cell
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

It does have some Hella Blue bulbs in it, and it did do this before that. The cust. bought the car this way, as the person selling it told them it was a bulb. They had it at 2 different shops, and they both looked at it and said take it to someone who specializes in electrical, they couldn't figure it out. That is another reason I want to figure it out, to be the hero, after all we all like that. I just found something I didn't see before, is that when the indicator says bright the lights are actually on dim and vice versa. May be the key here??? Going to look further. It only blows the left fuse, thats what is funny, and only when it is running so it is when the drl turn on.
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Sending over a diagram now.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

Here is the ultimate brain fart. This vehicle is supposed to have two bulbs up front, one for bright, and one for dim. The sockets and capsules are for only one bulb. I think I need to go back to school for overlooking this one. :shock: :| :mrgreen: Now to let the customer know.

507-345-6425
nickscarcare

Re: 1999 Chev Cavalier - L HLP Dim; Fuse Blows? FIXED

Post by nickscarcare »

Who ever put on this body kit, changed the headlamp capsules, and installed one bulb units, wired up the bright and dims backwards. I had to leave the drl disconnected. But got it all wired up to a one bulb system, and it works great. Now to see what the next electrical thing happens on this car, with the do-it yourselfer wiring for the alarm, underbody lights, etc. that is in this car. Just gained 2 more customers by being able to fix this one. The customer has a business and told some of his customers, and they are scheduled already. I know looking at the way this thing is there are shops that would have just sent this out the door!

507-345-6425

Return to “GM Cars”