1994 Chev Camaro - LT1 Cuts Off

Specific repair issues for all GM cars + FWD vans
alphaauto
25 Club: Starting Contributor

1994 Chev Camaro - LT1 Cuts Off

Post by alphaauto »

Got a 1994 Camaro with LT1 engine with 61k.....

Customer states that last week car started to cut off. like someone cut key off.but restarted.Know car won't start at times. But i have noticed that clock on radio resets every time it does start. :twisted:
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 1994 Chev Camaro - LT1 Cuts Off

Post by steven kiser »

The issue of the radio resetting is a good hit. It usually means a complete electrical failure. The customer states now it takes a while to restart. Is there a crank but no start, no crank, do the power windows, blower motor, etc fail to work? Does the dash power up? These points will lead you to the issue. Could be as simple as a feed wire on the starter, a secondary wire on the back of the alternator, or a loose lug in a primary wire. I would look at the connection at the fire wall. It's unusual a ground would cause this type of failure but it's possible. If the main ground is faulty you'll need to inspect all secondary grounds. If this is an automatic look at the shift cable as well, i've seen them act as chassis grounds and melt internally. If you get lucky enough to have it fail for you the wiggle test will be a big help. I remember when it was an important part of repairing fords. :lol:
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
alphaauto
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Post by alphaauto »

Car is a automatic,second all dash lights come on & vehicle does crank,when key is turned but won't start. Have had car start run for 4 mins & shut off.
Did clean all ground & main computer grounds. Car ran for 30 mins,we shut it off & restarted.Let sit over night & now cranks & won't restart. Cleaned off back of ignition module & even swapped with none good module,car cranks but won't start. Radio is still resetting itself to 1200.......
All dash lights come on & gauges working normally.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Do you have spark and fuel? If the starter is really drawing it may clear the radio. Still sonnds like a Connector Issue. Possibly a p.c.m.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
liljoe
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by liljoe »

Very possable to have two seperate issues, see if the radio resets by just turning the key off and then back on without trying to start it. The no start issue would send me to look at the opti-spark system on it....
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
fortknoxx

Post by fortknoxx »

factory stereo system? any add on's like cd, dvd, amp, hair dryer, curling iron?
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)
Gone but not forgotten...Camper Bob's

609-760-7079 Cell
Stewart Levy
100 Club: Active Contributor
100 Club: Active Contributor

Post by Stewart Levy »

Have you hooked up a scanner yet . seems that you are loosing a critia=cal ground in the car. you need to do a voltage drop from the engine to body and then from body to battery while cranking use a shunt so you don't burn the volt meteer with to high of a amp draw!. The scanner will tell you if the computer is loosing power ! when the car quits. You know they say fuel and power it should run so hook up your tools and see if it is loosing fuel pressure. Ididnt buy it or build it But I can Fix it!
If they don't know how can they fix it!
fortknoxx

Post by fortknoxx »

looks like he forgot about us.
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)
Gone but not forgotten...Camper Bob's

609-760-7079 Cell

Return to “GM Cars”