GM 3.8L With Plastic Plenum

Specific repair issues for all GM cars + FWD vans
sbebenelli
750 Club: World Class Contributor
750 Club: World Class Contributor

GM 3.8L With Plastic Plenum

Post by sbebenelli »

When doing intake gaskets on a GM 3.8 with the plastic plenum do you always put a new plenum on or only if it's melted around the EGR port? I always price the plenum but sometimes I don't see anything wrong with them when I get it apart. I don't want to sell the customer something if not needed but feel a lot better using a new one.

What's everyone else doing?

A also assume everyone is using Fel Pro's updated gaskets? I just had one in the other day with new gaskets from a decent shop in town and it had the plastic gaskets. I figured everyone used the better gaskets.
Pauls Automotive
1000 Club: Interstellar
1000 Club: Interstellar

Re: GM 3.8 with plastic plenum

Post by Pauls Automotive »

I always seem to get bit anytime I reused the plenum so I started getting new ones a few years ago. I used the updated gaskets when possible.
Paul
Pauls Automotive
6318 Falls Road
Baltimore, Md 21209
410-825-2224
paul@paulsauto.com
TRUE HAPPINESS IS WITHIN YOU
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

As a rule i inspect the plenum thoroughly. It been about 50 50. I warn the customer and tell them not to proceed unless they're willing to replace the intake.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Its hit or miss with us
rytek
50 Club: Regular Contributor
50 Club: Regular Contributor

Post by rytek »

We would warn the customer & then inspect the plenum once apart.

I know on the 3.1/3.4 engines, we use the metal/rubber gaskets.

It's been a long time since we did a 3.8 lower intake, so I don't recall what is available. If metal/rubber is an option, we use that.

We have done plenty of plenum coolant leaks, tho. usually wind up replacing the plenums.
Chris
marcdaniels
100 Club: Active Contributor
100 Club: Active Contributor

Post by marcdaniels »

Replace every time. I have told clients going in that at this time it may be good but with such a high failure rate I won't do the job. For the additional cost of replacing the plentium now is much cheaper than waiting. What if today its good and then in 6 months it's no good? Who's at fault? You know that in the customers eyes even if they said to wait your still going to be somewhat the bad guy. And who would pay for the repairs this time? You or would you make them pay? Even if you said you buy the part you still eating the labor and loosing money. Stop loosing money, your not doing anyone any favors. Like I've also said to the client. How much does it cost you in agravation or even money when your car is broke down? If we spend a little more now you will only be broke down this one time not twice!!!!!

A famous quote:
It's unwise to pay too much-- But it's worse to pay too little. When you pay to much you lose a little money that is all. When you pay to little, you sometimes lose everything because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot...it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you take, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better. Stated by John Ruskin and that was back in the 1800's.

I have that quote hanging on a nice framed display right in my customer waiting room where everyone that walks in sees it. You would not believe how many people see that and say wow thats so true I've never thought of it like that before. It even works well on helping me in closing big ticket sales. Plus all the value that we add to the service.

Return to “GM Cars”