2001 Saturn SL1 - 1.9L Gasket Oil Leak

Specific repair issues for all GM cars + FWD vans
92zman
200 Club: Major Contributor

2001 Saturn SL1 - 1.9L Gasket Oil Leak

Post by 92zman »

Ok we have a 2001 sl1 here with the 1.9 sohc motor and cant keep it from leaking oil.

It has a lot of blow by and i keep saying then that is the reason but the boss telles me then there has to be a way to fix it. He says then he sees them all the time at the actions that are worse. But have put 2 valve cover gaskets on and now it is leaking from the timing cover. And now the custmer is now saying she talked to some one and said the egr and the pcv is bad. Will i can see the pcv but put a new one in the frist time we did the valve cover. We got the gasket from gm so we did not just use rvt on it. As for the egr will unless there is something i dont know i dont see how it could make psi in the crank case.

Guess I am just posting this to make sure then i am not missing something. Thanks
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2001 saturn sl1 gasket

Post by steven kiser »

Depending on what you call a lot of blow buy it may need rings. If it's blowing seals and gaskets make sure the pcv tube is clear and sucking.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Re: 2001 saturn sl1 gasket

Post by brianp87 »

If the pcv is ok then there is no fix. Internal problem
steven kiser

Re: 2001 Saturn SL1 - 1.9L Gasket Oil Leak

Post by steven kiser »

These engines have a habit of throwing the upper chain guide but since the valve cover has been replaced that's taken care of. How many miles on it? The blow by will cause the seals to blow out and you'll spend the rest of your life replacing them. It really doesn't matter if he's seen worse. It doesn't make this one any better. An issue with the E.G.R. will cause a rough idle but if somehow it was charging the crank case it would have popped it like a Jiffy Pop lid by now. The only real thing that comes to mind is the ventilation system being plugged. If it doesn't stall or run like crapolla when valve is pulled from hose there may be a restriction in hose, nipple, or a real dirty intake. Yank brake booster hose and get a feel for the vac. If it's a ring issue the oil will be filthy and ill usually read high on the dip stick. The rings may be stuck if it's been a casual usage vehicle and possibly can be cleaned by removing plugs and pouring a solvent into each cylinder and let sit for a while. The longer the better. I use B&G and would suggest doing a good upper intake and cylinder cleaning before you pour into the cylinders to burn off as much as possible so when you spin it over to blow the cylinders clear it won't make quite a mess.

Years ago when we would have vehicle that would actually flood and wash cylinders i took old spark plugs, smashed out the porcelain welded nipples to the shell, attached hoses to them so i could drop them into a trash bucket so i wouldn't have to spend an hour cleaning up the mess from cylinder ejaculation. I remember seeing vehicles turned into flame throwers because techs didn't disable the spark. :lol: :lol:
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
92zman

Re: 2001 Saturn SL1 - 1.9L Gasket Oil Leak

Post by 92zman »

Will the car runs great and is drove all the time. It has about 160000 on it. I do belive the rings are the reason for the blow by and i have them looking at me for a easy fix. Told them pull motor and rebuild. But they just want the car to make it till spring. I belive it will just using oil. I got on here to make sure there is not nothing dumb that i am not thinking about. Thanks for the imput...

Return to “GM Cars”