1995 Buick Regal Heater Core

Specific repair issues for all GM cars + FWD vans
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

1995 Buick Regal Heater Core

Post by Tim Martin »

I need help with this one. This 95 Regal Limited with a 3800 engine needs a heater core. MOD makes it sound very simple. Take heater cover off and remove heater core. Men! It aint that simple. Must I remove the dash to get this job done or does someone know the trick to removing the heater core cover so this leaker can be replaced?
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 95 Buick Regal Heater Core

Post by ricmorin »

Information from another service provider is similar. Pull the lower sound panels and some ductwork, then the core cover. Can't recall one from memory though.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

ricmorin wrote:Information from another service provider is similar. Pull the lower sound panels and some ductwork, then the core cover. Can't recall one from memory though.
Sorry pal. It ain't that simple. Wish it was though.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Bummer. There was a note that said that the OE does not provide pictures for that procedure, either. I looked at a bunch of different heater ac procedures to see if I could come up with a pic that might elude to a better approach but I couldn't find any.
603-622-6434 x203

brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

I couldnt find anything different sorry...... :oops:
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

I just looked under a 94 and there were pics there. Take a look and see if it is similar to what you have.
603-622-6434 x203

Tim Martin

Re: 1995 Buick Regal Heater Core

Post by Tim Martin »

Well, I looked at 94. It at least has an exploded view of the heater/evaporator box but no more info regarding R&R than 95 does.

Extremely frustrating. MOD does not even have info on dash R&R or I could go that route.

I even called my extremely friendly GM dealer and he said that their service info does not go back that far. They rely on Alldata for that vintage.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Book pays just under 3 hours. I googled it and there were a few videos.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

I just read the Alldata description and it sounds like once the rear heat duct is removed the heater core cover can be dropped and then the core retainers. If it has a console it needs to be removed (i have big hands and it makes it so much easier for me) once it's removed i use a siding knife to cut the carpet making the rear duct removal and instillation so much easier. With that out of the way the cover drops (the screws on either side against the fire wall may be a *) and prying it down to slide it out may or may not work. If it breaks it will rattle or whistle from air escaping. The first one i did the instructions seemed to make it more difficult than it really is. I use the shop vac to get all the crap out of the core so it doesn't drool all over the interior. If i recall correctly all i needed was 1/4 and 7mm swivel socket and a 4" extension. On the pain in the a** screws that you can just reach i use a long handle needle nose pliers, hold the screw in it and heat the tip of the screw with a micro torch. When i insert it into the hole it will melt enough to hold it but not enough to mess up the hole. You can actually push it into the port pretty far and then have enough room for two or three turns to secure it and opposed to trying to stick it to something lighting a prayer candle and slowly reaching to the hole praying it reaches it this time, and it won't. Hope this helps.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

I think the problem is that the oe didnt do anything with it and both alldata and mitchell copy them. Due to its age thats a whole nother issue as to why gm may have not doen anythign with it.
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Well, I just got a 3 day subscription to GM Website so I'll see if GM actually has service info on this one.

Thanks for the ideas and stay tuned.
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Ok. At the risk of sounding like I am criticizing MOD, the GM website has alot of info that MOD does not have, at least as it relates to this job. The diagrams and description there are helpful. I will be using GM SI more, I can see that.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Really. You should call mitchell. They should have all gm info. Maybe they got lazy and didnt convert it. I have called before and they have faxed me info that wasnt in the computer.
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

brianp87 wrote:Really. You should call mitchell. They should have all gm info. Maybe they got lazy and didnt convert it. I have called before and they have faxed me info that wasnt in the computer.
Well, I can see that in the process of producing a volume of service info the size of MOD that it is possible that some things may get missed but I in being able to view service info on Ford's system and now with GM, I am seeing that there is more in the OEM service info than what I have with MOD. In fact, when it comes to Ford, I almost invariably will access Ford before MOD because it is better and more detailed.

Having said what I did, MOD is still an excellent product and I will continue to use it.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

I agree I have viewed some oe stuff before and it seemed pretty nice. An example was I was viewing a transmission r and r on a 2007 vw passat.

Return to “GM Cars”