1999 Buick Regal - Driveline Noise FIXED!

Specific repair issues for all GM cars + FWD vans
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Re: 99 Regal Driveline Noise - FIXED!

Post by Tim Martin »

brianp87 wrote:How did u find the starter issue. We had to rodeo the car in the parking lot while doing a dognut.
Jack the right side up about a foot or so. As soon as the engine was started the noise was there.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Nice that's a good idea. You must have pretty much knew at that point then.
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

brianp87 wrote:Nice that's a good idea. You must have pretty much knew at that point then.
Well, we were convinced the issue was not in the driveline so we began looking elsewhere. What fits the conditions required to duplicate the noise? An, I must give credit where it is due, I had input from another shop that they had seen this problem also. So, grabbing for straws as we were, we checked it out as a possibility.
sbebenelli
750 Club: World Class Contributor

Re: 1999 Buick Regal - Driveline Noise FIXED!

Post by sbebenelli »

Just curious what you ended up charging for and if the customer was happy.....
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

sbebenelli wrote:Just curious what you ended up charging for and if the customer was happy.....
We charged for the tie rod ends and a new starter plus a number of hours labor. Customer was pleased with outcome, knew it would be some cost but added a 50 dollar tip. I know, some of you will say why not charge for the other parts we installed. Well, I have to be fair with my customers, I want them to come back. I also have a conscience that I have to live with. Furthermore, as owner of a Christian business, we are serious about practicing the Golden Rule of the Bible in our doings. I understand, there is differing views on all this and I respect you all but that is how we do business.
Rich
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor

Post by Rich »

Tim, I agree. We have to sleep at night. Honesty, I believe, makes you more money than advertising.
Rich Hays
Work 9-11 or 616-696-0020
Being able to get CAPE off a Skew T chart is important in this hobby.
sbebenelli

Post by sbebenelli »

I would not have charged for all the parts. That's why I asked to see if I was crazy or not.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

sbebenelli wrote:I would not have charged for all the parts. That's why I asked to see if I was crazy or not.

Well I'm a mechanic not a Dr. but since you hang around with me you may be a little bit crazy.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Rich wrote:Honesty, I believe, makes you more money than advertising.
We could begin another thread with this comment so I'll make it very brief. We have found this to be so true. Advertising places try to bypass the virtue of honesty and business integrity by trying to make you believe that you must have a website, you must advertise with us, you must do this or that or you will go out of business. They never tell you the facts of how many places of business have survived and grown by using good honest business policies and ethics. We see new customers on a regular basis because they say "So and so said your shop is honest and fair". In a society where honesty is a disappearing virtue we want to be what we are and will continue to do so.
Jeff @ Able Auto
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by Jeff @ Able Auto »

Well said Tim. I have in the last 2 weeks installed light bulbs at no charge, stayed past 10 pm to wait on a tow in to get the folks back on vacation and eat a bit of labor because it was the right thing to do! My integrity is as important to me, or more, than a huge profit. About a month ago had a car towed in, 3 young adults and an infant trying to get home to Jacksonville. Overheated Honda. Found a split by pass hose. I had a close match, put it on, refilled the radiator and told them no charge. Took me 15 minutes. They left and were back in 10 minutes still overheating :oops: . Found stat stuck. Gave them an estimate and they had enough to cover parts and still have gas to get home. I fixed it and they paid for parts. Told them when they got home, if they could afford it, to mail me a check. Otherwise just say a prayer for me. One young man asked if I were christian. I told him yes, but ya may not be able to tell, as I am still a bit coarse. He remarked that as they were waiting on the tow truck they had prayed for an honest shop to fix their car! I believe for me that sums it up!
Jeff Fitzgerald - retired
Treasure Coast of Florida
"there will be enough time to sleep when we're dead"

Return to “GM Cars”