1996 Chev Camaro 5.7L LT1 - P0336 arrrg FIXED

Specific repair issues for all GM cars + FWD vans
jbadenoch
400 Club: Mega-Star Contributor

1996 Chev Camaro 5.7L LT1 - P0336 arrrg FIXED

Post by jbadenoch »

Morning gentlemen. Have a 96 camaro Z28 5.7 ohv LT1 with 105157 on the clock here thats driving me crazy.

Came in running hot due to coolant leak from the water pump. While water pump was off we replace the distributor ( was actually cheaper than getting cap and rotor) because was all original and was leaking oil. Ofter job was done, the mil came on with a P0336 and P1371. Found the supplied new dist harness was bad. Replaced harness and P1371 is gone but 336 comes back on 2nd drive cycle. 336 of for ckp lo res angle. it should be between -10deg to +7 at idle, it reads between +7 to +11, even on a decel snap. Have been thru mitchells diag procedure twice and brings me to a bad connection for ckp or crank reluctor wheel. Took timing cover apart to examine chain slop and reluctor, found everything to be good. Have replaced dist with a second one and same issue. Have also changed the crank sensor with no change. Pulled pcm and checked all related wiring and terminals with no issue found. Were pretty sure (98%) that no codes were in pcm upon arrival, but only because the mil was not on.

If anyone has any ideas or can shed some light, it would be GREATLY appreciated. I see now why gm came out with the LS and got rid of LT.
Last edited by jbadenoch on Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 96 camaro 5.7 lt1 P0336 arrrg

Post by ricmorin »

What reman did you use? It's been my experience on the Opti-Spark systems that if you use a Cardone or something similar, you'll have problems. ONLY use ACDelco reman or new if possible. I think new is no longer available. I've seen Cardone units repeatedly fail here.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
steven kiser

Re: 96 camaro 5.7 lt1 P0336 arrrg

Post by steven kiser »

Agreed. It all points to either a harness issue or a bad dist. I believe you can still get new through World Pac. I'm seeing more and more new items being offered by Car Quest since Advanced purchased them.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
steven kiser

Re: 1996 Chev Camaro 5.7L LT1 - P0336 arrrg

Post by steven kiser »

Was chatting with a drag racing buddy of mine about part quality and I happened to mention this post. He said he wondered if someone had changed out the oem dist with one for more speed and put a chip in the pcm. It's common practice from what I'm told.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
jbadenoch

Post by jbadenoch »

We decided to go with oem reman. Did get new thru oreillys originally, what a mistake. I scoped the dist yesterday and the wave form was all over the place. Ill post the fix or not, later. thank you
jbadenoch

Post by jbadenoch »

Fixed. Oem reman put everthing back to spec. I know weve had the oem/aftermarket talks, some people never learn. Im a FIRM believer now. Thanks for the help gentleman.
steven kiser

Re: 1996 Chev Camaro 5.7L LT1 - P0336 arrrg FIXED

Post by steven kiser »

Thanks for posting fix. Funny thing is I was speaking to a customer about an alternator is his Saab this post popped into my mind. He wanted a reman installed from a local parts store and I was pushing a Bosch reman that was 300 dollars more. This alt is a bit of a pain and when something is labor intensive I'm likely to push a higher quality part. As far as dealer reman goes I'm as gun shy on those as I am with all other remans. I've never had a failed part from Dorman or new from World Pac.
jbadenoch

Post by jbadenoch »

steven kiser wrote:Thanks for posting fix. Funny thing is I was speaking to a customer about an alternator is his Saab this post popped into my mind. He wanted a reman installed from a local parts store and I was pushing a Bosch reman that was 300 dollars more. This alt is a bit of a pain and when something is labor intensive I'm likely to push a higher quality part. As far as dealer reman goes I'm as gun shy on those as I am with all other remans. I've never had a failed part from Dorman or new from World Pac.
I guess as long as they are willing to pay labor each time, hopefully you talked him into new. Im still likely to use reman parts such as alt, starters, ps pumps. No more aftermarket sensors or distributors, pcm, bcm, any modules, when ever possible. Probably take a few headaches away.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Even if they pay labor for a failed part after you warn them for the most part you'll get bad mouthed. I don't want a customer returning with a failed part a month out of warranty and on the times it's happened if it's under a hundred bucks I'll eat it and fight it out with the parts store. I tell my customer that even though it's out of warranty from the parts supplier I'm covering it.

It's a rocky slope we are on trying to compete with other shops. We want to be competitive yet install quality parts and make a few dollars along the way. An example of something I've done and I'll use the Saab alternator as an example. Bosch alternator costs me 185 dollars and lists for 500. Car Quest sells a re man for 235 and lists for 325. Now we all know most list prices are a fictional price with the exception of O.E.M. and that is just because it sets the standard. I want to install the Bosch because I have more faith in it than others and the job basically sucks. If there are any upsells on this where I can create some wiggle room I may install the Bosch and match the Car Quest list price. There are many ways of working things and I will use them. Personally, getting back to the distributer, if this was me I would be all over the parts store for lost labor and customer confidence. This was probably sold as a preemptive service and the customer may be looking at it as a complete bomb and may point to the distributer when there is a drivability issue in the future. Who knows but if it were in my shop Murphy's law is center stage. I'm working on a completely restored International Scout and it was scheduled to be at a show today and tomorrow. This is the second time it's been in my shop and I've dove very little to it. Here's where Murphy walks in. Running great, ready to go and I was just checking the vacuum lines and decided to bypass the high altitude advance vac switch and while I was watching it idle is just quit. No spark and some after market ignition system had been installed years ago and there are no #'s on the control box and none I've seen pictures of look remotely close to it. I decided to check power source starting at the ignition switch and someone had rewired everything under the dash. The quality of workmanship is great but the same color wire was used. Everything is green so if it is a harness issue I'm going to have to lay it out and check the wires by running each one between my fingers from A to Z. Murphy brought his whole family on this one.
jbadenoch

Post by jbadenoch »

Feel bad for ya on that scout. Ive killed murphy before. He must be like a zombie because he keeps coming back. Definately putting in a couple labor claims in on the camaro, we'll see what happens.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

I hope chasing labor claims with Oreillys is smoother than with Car Quest. I've had labor claims that dragged on for months. I swear the manufacturer drags it out in the hope it's forgotten. What I do now is start an order under Kiser Automotive with the labor claim information on it so I can keep tabs on it. I also keep track of the times and people I've spoken with. It's been a big plus when I confront the zone manager. I think they drag it out so you'll jump at the pittance they offer. I go right to the top if it's been a few months. I've called regional presidents for World Pac, Cardone, Airtex, Car Quest, and others. I let them know my issue wasn't a big deal but now since I've been bounced around It's personal. I take the time to explain all I've done, how much I use their product and am surprised it's being handled this way. Sometimes I add that the way it's being handled is overshadowing a quality product. I told one person that I was very active in IATN, Direct Hit, Mitchell Forum, etc, and was willing to leave detailed posts on how this was being handled. The issue was resolved within two days and I got all my labor plus mail in rebates worth 200 dollars. Took me a few months but I got them all mailed in and the rebate check was made out to me personally and my wife and I had a nice night out.

Return to “GM Cars”