2005 Dodge Neon SXT - Mis-Fire

Specific repair issues for Dodge cars & FWD vans
Crescentbunny
100 Club: Active Contributor

2005 Dodge Neon SXT - Mis-Fire

Post by Crescentbunny »

Hello guys, we've got a Neon in here (1B3ES56C55D134616 if needed) This is the clients first time here so I don't have a full history on it, but he bought it at about 120,000 (its at 149,554 now) he was told timing service had just been done on it (We can confirm everything looks new under the cover) it has had a misfire code for awhile (not sure how long as the client isnt sure) He himself replaced the plugs the wires and the forward O2 sensor and the misfire is still present. We checked over all the work he did (naturally) first. Everything looks good, (The plugs are NGK I wouldn't have used them but they are all firing as they should during testing) It looks like it has a new injector on it so we checked everything in the fuel system and even did a fuel system service, still misfires. You can only feel a misfire at idle, under load the vehicle runs beautifully. We smoked it and found a large leak at the intake manifold when it is cold and we replaced the gasket. Still misfires, code still active. No other leaks found. Cat isn't plugged. Checked wave forms of both the cam and crank sensors everything good there. Leak down and compression test checked out good. We are going to do a timing tear down next make sure it isn't off but does anyone have any suggestions for us? We've exhausted everything suggested as a fix on identifix. Let me know if you need any other information.
Jeff @ Able Auto
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Re: 2005 Neon SXT

Post by Jeff @ Able Auto »

Is it a random misfire or specific to a cylinder? Are the cam and crank sensors in synch on scanner? Maybe a camshaft lobe wiped? I have had spark plugs in the past that would jump a spark tester that would not fire under compression. What is the MAP and baro readings? Just a few tidbits to chew on.
Jeff Fitzgerald - retired
Treasure Coast of Florida
"there will be enough time to sleep when we're dead"
Crescentbunny

Post by Crescentbunny »

Its a misfire on the number 1 cylinder and the sensors are in sync. I'll ask the technician about the rest: He states the MAP readings looked normal to him. He went to drive it I'll ask him about the rest when he gets back. Thanks Jeff!
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

This may or may not apply to this car but look at the wiring on the coil feed about 3 or 4 inches away from the coil. There is a vacuum hose I think that's what it is laying across it. I've seen a lot where the harness is worn just enough to cause a misfire. The coil will fire but the voltage isn't anywhere near enough to fire plug properly.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Did the timing belt brake? Or was it done preventatively?
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Are the coils the same can they be rotated?
JBUTITTA
50 Club: Regular Contributor
50 Club: Regular Contributor

Post by JBUTITTA »

Definitely do a cylinder leak down test on that cylinder. I have had my share of neons with burnt valves that only show a misfire at idle. HTH Jerry
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

I see you did a compression test and a leak down test. Sometimes these do not show a volumetric efficiency problem. I'd suggest a running compression test. If the problem is mechanical, this will show it. If the results here are all even, the issue is fuel or electrical.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Crescentbunny

Post by Crescentbunny »

The coils can't be switched, and as far as the client knows it was done preventatively. It seems late to have done it preventatively since Dodge recommends the change at 102k. But it's not inconceivable that it went to 120k. Leak down and compression check all returned normal results.
Jeff @ Able Auto

Post by Jeff @ Able Auto »

OK...next step is to scope the injector and coil. I would compare spark kV to good cylinder. Another test we did at chrysler was an injector max voltage test. You could also run an injector ramp test. Compare those to a good cylinder. And for what it's worth I might buy a cheap coil just for a test. They were common failures when I worked for Chrysler.
Jeff Fitzgerald - retired
Treasure Coast of Florida
"there will be enough time to sleep when we're dead"
92zman
200 Club: Major Contributor
200 Club: Major Contributor

Re: 2005 Dodge Neon SXT - Mis-Fire

Post by 92zman »

I would try to change the coil with a known good one. Like someone said it might not spark under compression. At least then u know then that is not it. Have had a lot of them spark out side but not inside.

Return to “Dodge Cars”