2005 Dodge Caravan SXT - Electrical Problem

Specific repair issues for Dodge cars & FWD vans
Chrispy

2005 Dodge Caravan SXT - Electrical Problem

Post by Chrispy »

More of a electrical problem that I can't seem to figure out. Symptoms are that the speakers suddenly make a loud popping sound for about half a second, and then drives all the cluster gauges to go crazy, and all the lights pulse/dim.

Can't figure out whats causing this. Any ideas?
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2005 Dodge Caravan SXT - Electrical Problem

Post by steven kiser »

if it's constant and happens in a very short time i'de disconnect the alternator and run the vehicle. it sounds like a spike or internal short to ground. i've seen cases cracked.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Yest test alt
Chrispy

Post by Chrispy »

Thanks, I'll go ahead and test this.
Chrispy

Post by Chrispy »

okay, so I tested the Alt and it showed that it was OK. Went ahead and replaced it with another anyway just to see what it does, and still does the very same thing with a new Alternator. Also looked a bit for any bare wire, but no luck so far.

Stumped at this point.
JBUTITTA
50 Club: Regular Contributor
50 Club: Regular Contributor

Post by JBUTITTA »

These systems are complex to say the least. Im fighting an 06 leep grand cheokee with intermitant dash lite dimming. I have learned alot about chryslers with this pian. First there is a TIPN, an FCM thats bolted to the TIPN, then BCM( on newer models this could also be the instrament cluster), an ORC module. Any one of these can cause ODD behavore. Good luck, wish I could be help, and possibly after I figure where the gremlins are in this jeep Ill repost. Jerry
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

Chrispy wrote:okay, so I tested the Alt and it showed that it was OK. Went ahead and replaced it with another anyway just to see what it does, and still does the very same thing with a new Alternator. Also looked a bit for any bare wire, but no luck so far.

Stumped at this point.
did you happen to run it with the alternator disconnected? i've seen issues with the secondary cable at the positive battery post. it's been corroded internally. check the leads where they attach to the power distribution box for looseness or corrosion. just for a bit of help here, what happened or what did the customer do if anything preceding this problem? i've solved issues like this by "grilling" the customer about anything that had to do with the car before the issue arose. i had a ford that was fine until three weeks after a stereo was installed. i took it out and found not only a spider web of wire but some "brighto" had used a drywall screw to support the housing and it ran right through the bulkhead that held the harness.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “Dodge Cars”