2000 Chrysler Gr Voyager - Flex Fuel Problem

Specific repair issues for Dodge cars & FWD vans
rogersauto
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Re: 2000 Chrysler Gr Voyager - Flex Fuel Problem

Post by rogersauto »

No, We was looking for anything on this van. We had changed a lot of things before we started talking to you. I just want to say thanks ,because it looks like the pcm was the problem!

Thanks! :D
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

No I tried to bold the point about the o2's and it didnt work out. Its my mistake I was pointing out to him basically that the o2's control the flex portion. :D
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

Great. Just wanted to be sure my post was clear.

I'd keep a close watch on this one after it leaves the shop. By replacing the PCM, you may have simply reset the methanol setting. If the condition is still present that caused the erroneous setting then the problem may return. If this was my customer, I would have them return after three fill-ups and check the pid again. I'd also would see them after 2 more, just to be sure that it's fixed.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Yeah, I was directing it towards the original poster. example the fuel pump. I'm with you this may be a temp fix. Although if the O2 was wired wrong originally and then replaced then the adaptive memory may have just needed to be reset? Or it coulda shorter the pcm? Food for thought
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

That's entirely possible. The fuel type pid will not reset with a battery disconnect or a pcm reset. If wired incorrectly, it 'could have' been interpreted as a lean condition which in turn 'could have' thought it had methanol. Only the DRB3 can manually reset this. Apparently Chrysler did not want to many people to mess with this. Damaging the PCM is possible, but most are bullet=proof these days when it comes to that. Time will tell.
603-622-6434 x203

brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

I thought I read a few days back that you could erase all adaptive memory via the battery cables together but I may be wrong. What scanners do you have ric?
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

You can erase the adaptive memory, but I don't think it resets the methanol pid.

I have the DRB3 for Chyrslers. Tech2 for GM, Saab and Suzuki. NGS for Ford and Mazda. Mastertech for Toyota and Honda. Hi-Scan Pro for Hyundai and Kia. Vadis for Volvo. EZ-Tech adapter for International w/ factory software. Vag-Com for VW and Audi. Still have a red brick and even one of those quick scanners. I've been staying pretty much factory so I have ALL the functions.
603-622-6434 x203

steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

i don't think so either. it's a computer value. now i know that there were issues with these getting crossed signals from the dash and needing major reburns. wasn't thios the vintage that some of the factory remans were carrying over bad information
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
rogersauto

Post by rogersauto »

Well you have been talking with Roger's wife Missy. These guys have been losing their hair. I just thought that someone could help them. Ric you have a lot of money in tools. We are just a small shop with just Rog and one other person working on cars. I am thankful that the info you gave us help them out. We do not have too many of these but this week was bad for them. We have another that I think I am going to put on.

I hate when we lose money on them. Never a good thing when you are a small place.

Thanks again. :)
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Glad to help out, Missy. I learned some stuff too, which is always a good thing. That's the great thing about this forum. Never a day goes by without someone learning something. :lol:
603-622-6434 x203

rogersauto

Post by rogersauto »

I learn every day and I have been around auto repair for about 22 years.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

not me, according to my wife i'm a G.D. know it all. i have the tech 2 along with the ford star tester and additional cartridges. i will not purchase high end scanners on the internet but have found it valuable for the cartridges. if wires were crossed on the 02 it must have been an after market. universal at that. i read that the program for the flex is etched in stone and can't be tinkered with. i wonder why? i've heard about more than a few where the vehicles have been repaired and where their is a choice between flex and non flex if the non flex is cheaper that's what drives the purchase. i'll continue on another post.....
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “Dodge Cars”