1997 Dodge Stratus - Alternator Light & No-start

Specific repair issues for Dodge cars & FWD vans
Ruger77
50 Club: Regular Contributor

1997 Dodge Stratus - Alternator Light & No-start

Post by Ruger77 »

1997 Dodge Stratus w/2.4 came in as a "check charging system, battery has been replaced, and alternator has been tested twice...but battery light is on" job.

The car was pushed in by the customer. I thought it was kind of odd that I was able to jump it and drive it in. They pushed it in with another car, why didn't they jump it? Well, I got my answer. After replacing the junk battery, and while attempting to check the charging system (batt light on dash is on at this time), it starting running really bad and then died. It seemed to start running bad just as I plugged in my scan tool to see if the alt. was being fielded by the PCM. When I unplugged the alt. field plug, the car would start and run fine, if I tried to plug it back in it would run rough and then die. (I did have code PO622 generator field not switching properly).

Replaced alt. and car runs fine and charges but I wasn't convinced it was fixed, so reinstalled old alt...... it charged and car ran fine. Called customer and he said it would always work fine for a couple of days after putting the alt back on after testing it at Auto Zone. I did make it act up again, but it is too intermittent to know when it is fixed. I reinstalled the new alt. and it seems fixed, but I don't like comebacks.......any suggestions? I don't understand how the field wires were killing the engine. I have ohmed the old alt. twice and cleaned the connections at the fuse box and checked the wiring including ohming to the PCM from the alt. Sorry for the ramble.........maybe I'm trying too hard.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 1997 Dodge Stratus - Alternator Light & No-start

Post by steven kiser »

install new alternator and call customer. it's done. just make sure their are no hard wired accessories added. if their are then the alternator may not be able to keep up with the amp draw. a higher amp battery is called for.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Ruger77

Re: 1997 Dodge Stratus - Alternator Light & No-start

Post by Ruger77 »

I hope you're right. I really don't know what choice I have, but I'm still bugged as to what was going on inside the alt. to make the car run rough or not start. Internal short that was being moved around when the alt. is removed and reinstalled? Seems odd, but thanks for the help, I'm calling the customer now.

Return to “Dodge Cars”