2000 Chrysler Town & Country - Heater

Specific repair issues for Dodge cars & FWD vans
BOUNTYHUNTER29

2000 Chrysler Town & Country - Heater

Post by BOUNTYHUNTER29 »

Van came in with complaint of no heat on passenger side (dual zone). Ran system calibration and while calibrating, the passenger heat gets hot but once calibration is complete, passanger side cools back down. 25-35 degree difference between drive side and passenger side. No codes in hvac system. I can remove blend door actuator and move door by hand and viola...heat on passenger side. So I know the door is ok. I've replace actuator and recalibrated but still have no pasenger side heat. I cant really find any good dignostic info in shopkey on testing components in this system. Even called shopkey tech support and they couldn't find any diagnostic info, other than tests with codes. Any ideas? This one's making me crazy! Things were so much simpler when cables and vacuum hoses moved all the doors...but then again, if it were simple, customers wouldn't need us!
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2000 Chrysler Town & Country - Heater

Post by steven kiser »

chances are very, very good that the control head is junk. it seems we work on particular models in waves. we had a wave of these come through the shop. you can run the reprogram and it will default again. generally i hate to just assume something is junk without really getting into it but i can say without hesitation that i never had one of these assumptions fail me on one of these. take the two screws off at the bottom, pop it off and order by number. you may want to scan for trouble codes first just to settle things in you mind. when you take it off you may notice coffee or tea stains on the back. some idiot thought it was a great idea to put cup holders in just the right spot so a medium dunkin can slosh and spray the control head. they claim that it can be cleaned. i actually asked any of the owners if they used sugar in their coffee. if the did i just chucked them and put new ones in. nothing that i know of dissolves and removes sugar besides water. i tried it once and it didn't work. another great design that tests mechanics patience and understanding.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
nickscarcare
750 Club: World Class Contributor
750 Club: World Class Contributor

Post by nickscarcare »

I agree, I have seen many of these with bad control heads. I don't think there is good testing for these besides either having a know good used, or ordering a new one and doing the calibration on it.
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com
BOUNTYHUNTER29

Post by BOUNTYHUNTER29 »

FIXED. BOUGHT USED CONTROL HEAD FOR 45.00 AND FIXED THIS ONE. AFTER REPAIR, TOOK OLD CONTROL HEAD APART AND FOUND COFFEE STAINS ALL OVER PRINTED CIRCUIT BOARD. THANKS FOR THE RESPONSES! :D
fortknoxx
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by fortknoxx »

thanx for posting the fix.
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)
Gone but not forgotten...Camper Bob's

609-760-7079 Cell

Return to “Dodge Cars”