1998 Chrysler T&C - Intermittent Stalling

Specific repair issues for Dodge cars & FWD vans
Jeff @ Able Auto
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

1998 Chrysler T&C - Intermittent Stalling

Post by Jeff @ Able Auto »

Ok might need a little help here. This mini van will stall intermittently. Restarts witout problems. Found key counts go to 0 when stall occurs which indicates a loss of battery for keep alive memory. Scope 12v keep alive red/white pin 46 at pcm. No loss of power. This leads me to believe that there is an internall fault in pcm. Sent pcm out for repair (twice). Repair center sent it back (twice) with no problem found. I just wondered if I could get some input from y'all before I sell a chrysler reman unit! Thanks!
Jeff Fitzgerald - retired
Treasure Coast of Florida
"there will be enough time to sleep when we're dead"
a&mauto
500 Club: Champion Contributor
500 Club: Champion Contributor

Re: 1998 Chrysler T&C - Intermittent Stalling

Post by a&mauto »

Jeff, I have a customer with a 97 T&C that has a ton of problems that started with just a stalling problem. He hasnt left it here long enough for us to do a decent diag on it but he promised to let us have it for a full day next week. My nose tells me that it is somewhere in the main fuse block by the battery. I will let you know what we find.
Adam Jadovitz
A & M Automotive
Lake Elsinore, CA
951-245-1562
http://www.aandmautorepair.com
Cory
100 Club: Active Contributor
100 Club: Active Contributor

Post by Cory »

I don't know who you have "repairing" your PCM's but we had an issue on a 2005 escape. Cardone had the PCM three times, we even told them specifically that the coil drivers were out. The first time it came back exactly the same, second time it ran worst, and third a little better. My point is, that I am really starting to wonder if these rebuilders know what they are doing. We ended up going with an OE unit, very expensive at $1200 but it fixed our problem.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

check for corrosion in the power supply block (under the hood fuse box). i've run into many issues there. another thing i've bruised my head over is the main relay overheating, the tell on that is once it starts it will fail on a regular basis. now have said that i've also ran into issues with the security module failing. i would look into that since you're loosing the read on the key. does this have a remote starter system in it? this may cause a fail but usually only when you step on the brakes. i've run into intermittent fuel pump issues before but have really never looked for key read loss. if you wiggle the under hood harness will it stumble? i've had few but enough to mention ignition switch issues with these.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Jeff @ Able Auto

Post by Jeff @ Able Auto »

I have checked for corrosion, wiggled wires, etc w/o problem. No remote starter system. In my experience with Chryslers I dont believe the security system will cause a key count loss. The thing that has me baffled is the loss of key counts but no loss of B+ at PCM. Got scope set slow and low and just never see any loss..just goes from charge voltage to B+ when it stalls. I guess the rebuilder has me second guessing myself. If I was still at Chrysler it would get a new PCM and be done! Thanks folks, I will call the customer Monday and go from there. Stay tuned!
Jeff Fitzgerald - retired
Treasure Coast of Florida
"there will be enough time to sleep when we're dead"
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

wouldn't a bad security module clear the bcm ? the point with the pcm being tested and no issue found doesn't surprise me. if it doesn't fail when being tested it's o.k.. we all seem to think that these rebuilders are in a white jacket with a pocket protector and are credited computer wizards. i've seen places like this first hand and can tell you that they're not. some of these rebuilders i wouldn't allow to check the air in my tires.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

another point here is that for some reason i've seen many reman chrystler pcm's that still contain prior programs that will cause all sorts of other issues when installed.

Return to “Dodge Cars”