1998 Dodge Stratus 2.4L P0172

Specific repair issues for Dodge cars & FWD vans
nickscarcare
750 Club: World Class Contributor

1998 Dodge Stratus 2.4L P0172

Post by nickscarcare »

This car was brought to me by another shop (I have been getting a lot of their crap lately)! It's 2.4L with 180K on the engine.

They supposedly got it and it had a misfire with code p0172. Sometime either during or after the tune up they did get a code p0108. Since their guy couldn't figure out the brick to read data stream to watch the map, they brought it to me. They also have no repair info and have been calling me.

I get it and the only code is the p0108, so I test and replace map sensor, and take it for a test drive, and the p0172 pops in. So I call them and they say yeah, that's what it came in for, glad I knew this!! So it sets on a one trip code, I watched the O2 and it does all of a sudden stay at around .9v, otherwise it switches. Just did a backpressure test as cat is rattling, exhaust manifold is cracked and that showed at most, a half a psi. So I check fuel pressure and it is 49psi koeo, but as soon as I start it the pressure goes to 80psi.

I am guessing that since the regulator is in the tank on this one that means it needs a fuel pump, or am I missing something else?
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Re: 98 Stratus 2.4 P0172

Post by brianp87 »

Sounds like more then one problem.
nickscarcare

Re: 98 Stratus 2.4 P0172

Post by nickscarcare »

Yes I know more than one problem, but I think this may be hard enough to sell the pump. At least that is where I am going to start and let them know what else is wrong. I'm liking this other shop, because every one that they have brought me the customer has been back here for more, either on the same vehicle, or others! Their loss!!!
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Re: 1998 Dodge Stratus 2.4L P0172

Post by brianp87 »

Its a tough call just dont want you to own it with so many issues.
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

let's look at this from a customer point of view. i know it's not a off the road customer but another shop so you may feel that you're talking on the same plain. well, not really. this shop is just a step above normal customer level. i have shops and tow companies that use me to repair vehicles for them. on occasion i've found that when a grenaded vehicle or a time bomb comes in it's best for me to turn it away. this vehicle has exceeded it's expected life and it appears it's ready to turn into a money pit. there is a manifold issue, converter-exhaust issue, fuel pump issue (not a biggie in my opinion) probably a head gasket leaking as well as a transmission on the bubble. my biggest fear on vehicles like this is that they will effect my reputation. i can see a shop willingly throw me under the bus saying that it was to difficult for them to diagnose so they took it to kiser who's suppose to be qualified and he screwed us as well as you. as kenny rogers well said "you gotta know when to hold em and know when to throw em". the less looked at point here is the vehicle actually worth the overall projected cost? me thinks not. that's the prudent way to approach it. in situations like this, when my name is attached to the job, i want a bit of control. i learned the hard way. there was a used car dealer in the area that would send me vehicles from time to time for repair. he was the "mr haney" of the used car business. well, as the story goes it was during a bit of a lean time and a vehicle came in and i took one look at it and turned it away. i had been working on two or three a week and felt somewhat comfortable. i was keeping it in check. getting paid as i went and not allowing any camel trading after the job was done. well back to point. a person came into my shop all upset that a car i gave a good bill of health to fell apart. i was dumfounded and asked to see the vehicle. i asked the persons name and had no record of ever seeing them or the vehicle in question. it was towed in and it did look familiar. i looked up the vehicles from this used car dealer and by checking vin it was one that i refused to work on because it was a death trap and just slapped together with used and mis matched parts. i produced the order for it i had given the dealer with a long list of needed work and the declined signature. i thought it was over for me. was i wrong. the dealer really tried to throw me under the bus by telling this person that i had done the work i recommended and it was me that was producing incorrect documentation. all he was doing was throwing things into the air to wear the person down hoping they would go away. it got messy. i'm just throwing this out as a worst case. protect your reputation. the first choice on this job should be done by the customer with all the information that will allow them to make a decision...............sometimes you can make more money by not doing the job. sorry for the banter. was listening to the radio about the bruins win and i think it kind of swept me up.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
mopwrforme
200 Club: Major Contributor
200 Club: Major Contributor

Post by mopwrforme »

i agree with steven 100% the only way i would think of this repair is if the customer replaced the fuel pump,exhaust manafold as well as the cat. with a new factory o2 sensor and of course the repair would exceed the value of the vehical, kick it to the curb. inform the customer to drive it till it drops untill then, gas and oil only. if you replace the fuel pump for p0172 it is at the moment the domanate code after you get the fuel preasure under control guess what the next will be, for the excessive air across the o2 from the cracked manafold or the bad cat. too many miles. 8) 8) 8)
perfection-automotive.net
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

I know what you guys are saying. It sounds like the customer is planning on just driving it for now. Don't have money. Warned them about all the other problems. Sometimes you just have to keep band-aiding a car, I don't like it, but thats the way it goes. I have been doing this far to many years to think that the car has to have everything fixed. If that was the case then I have 5 vehicles here right now that I better just send out the door!!! Maybe some of you can pick and choose, but I'm not in that situation! I take on all junk!! LOL May be a new business, but not new to the business!!!!!!! Well better cut it before I get in trouble.

507-345-6425
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

no trouble from me. i totally agree. like "gibbs" i go with my gut feeling. if i warn a person that the end is around the corner and i get the feeling that they are going to take it around the corner i'll do the work and up the warning about it being on it's last leg. on the other hand when someone tells me to pad slap it and refit the piston in the blown caliper because they're only going to keep it for a month or two i'll show them the door. in my little corner of the world people wll whine and * until you either throw them out or do it their way. i told one bottomer to show me any cert or his name inside the cover of a auto repair book. until then the work would be done my way. he refused and i refused to allow him to drive his vehicle off my property nor would i give him a receipt proving it was even in my shop. police got involved (i'm pretty sure i [posted this one). the police came and said i legally couldn't hold the vehicle so it could be towed. i told him to put it in writing to lift as much responsibility from my shoulders. he allowed a tow truck and documented that the car was unsafe. my feeling on this is, and i've seen it, i still can be held responsible if the bottomer takes the vehicle out and kills someone. you can't stop them, but if you laid a hand on the vehicle you sure can be accused of being a part of the problem. lets not forget "everyone is a victim".
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “Dodge Cars”