Chrysler Concorde 2.7L Main Oil Pressure

Specific repair issues for Dodge cars & FWD vans
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Chrysler Concorde 2.7L Main Oil Pressure

Post by Tim Martin »

Most shops know the issues with these 2.7 power plants. The problem here is that this one has very low oil pressure at idle and at higher rpms. No engine noise though. To make a long story short, I found main bearings #3 & 4 are toast as is the crank. Blackened, starved for oil. My question is how did that happen and nothing else? Engine has 19,601 on a Jasper engine out of time warranty.

And the next question is do I repair this one or replace the engine?
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Re: 2.7L Concorde Main Oil Pressure

Post by brianp87 »

I do not do any internal repairs but if it was a lubrication issue id be scared to repair and have the return of the same problem. Once I was committed then I would probably own it for life.
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Well I do not object to doing internal engine repairs as that is what we do alot of here but I am hoping for some ideas and input from others before I go very far with this one because of all the issues with this poorly designed boat anchor.
brother bubba
300 Club: Superstar Contributor
300 Club: Superstar Contributor

Post by brother bubba »

You now have a boat anchor. Our experience is antifreeze in the oil from the water pump. (Water pump inside the crankcase ??? Sheer genious !!!) Does'nt take much antifreeze, wipes out the bearings, oil pressure drops off, snowballs from there....

Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a piece of chalk, cut it with an axe. Sand it to fit.
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

No coolant inside crankcase. Did check that. Sludge in the oil passages I think is the issue.
liljoe
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Post by liljoe »

I know that you are feeling sorry for the old fellow with the car and want to help him out, but we all know that these things are junk and just do not hold up like they should. You already know the old fellow is prob gonna think you will stand behind it till the end of time, and that it just will not make it too far down the road. Of course with him being so old, he might not drive much longer any how. I can see where this would make you more likely to want to just fix it up and help him out. Rough place to be put in, but I am sure form reading the things you post, that you will make a good decision, might not be the best one for you, but you will do the right thing any how.........
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Re: Chrysler Concorde 2.7L Main Oil Pressure

Post by brianp87 »

it already sludged with 19 k. ooff what were his lof intervals and weight of oil used?
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

brianp87 wrote:it already sludged with 19 k. ooff what were his lof intervals and weight of oil used?
Well, this morning the customer tells me he has receipts for 3,000 mile oil changes.

And, I do not know what else would be the cause of 2 main bearings toasting and not the others except sludge in those 2 oil passages. Or am I wrong? If we elect to repair this chunk, I plan to clean and wash out all the oil passages before we set the unit back in. I somehow have a hunch in the disassembly process we may discover more issues.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

I was just wondering if he was using straight 30W or mystery oil or went way over.
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

brianp87 wrote:I was just wondering if he was using straight 30W or mystery oil or went way over.
Place he goes to uses 10/30 oil. No additives.
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

I'd have the oil analyzed. It might tell a story.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

How do you have that done? I think maybe bg does it but not sure never have ever had it done? I had a place with a blown engine jasper unit. Was under warranty but I saw an empty oil bottle on floor board and a few lids under the hood. Oil sticker showed like 2k over and oil lines were leaking. I told him I needed reciepts for lof's that they needed to be every 3k and maybe we could get over the fact that it was due to running it low on oil. Reciepts were al way over and some missing once I got them. Poor maintenance wasnt my fault. I do lofs and I never did but the install and intial right after. I flat told him no. It was a matter of they were just wrong. I could of got jasper to cover but it wouldnt have been right or there responibility nor was it mine. ppl need to be held accountable for what they do. Sorry to vent I dont know all the details of this but wanted to share what i did in a similar case.
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Well, for the engine I am working on to get an oil analysis is not possible cause I done put the oil i drained out into my waste oil tank. But you do bring up a valid point. If perchance we were to get that done what would that tell us?
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

I do mine through Amalie and my local supplier. They have kits available.
603-622-6434 x203

Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Has getting an oil test affected what you did to a vehicle?
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Tim Martin wrote:Has getting an oil test affected what you did to a vehicle?
Not yet. Mostly it corroborated what I had already suspected.
603-622-6434 x203

steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

I would take a good look at the top end for scoring. The mains may show the brunt of damage but i wouldn't be surprised to find scoring in the top end leading me to believe it was run without oil in it. Engines like this i call recycling. By the time i've gone through it and totally cleaned all the ports and journals, measured and assembled i can't charge for all my time or send it out without lighting a prayer candle. I'm not questioning my capability but at best i compare repairing these mills as covering poop with heavily spiced gravy to kill the taste. It's still poop....................... :lol: :lol:
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Just an update on this one.

Between the customer and I we have decided to replace the 2.7L engine with a 3.2 power plant. I know, there will be some that say they wouldn't do such a thing but it can be done without much trouble.
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

kadinemorgan wrote:I don't know about others but atleast am very happy after listening this update..Replacing 2.7L engine with a 3.2 power plant is really a good decision..
Welcome to this Mitchell1 Forum!

Regarding the engine swap - have you done one?
mopwrforme
200 Club: Major Contributor
200 Club: Major Contributor

Post by mopwrforme »

tim sorry for the late post. Being a chrysler trained tech.I have been with the 2.7 since it came out.
I can say personally i think jasper didnt machiine the crank correctly or mismatched the main brgs.
you are right that there could also be a restriction from the main oil galley to the main brgs in question.

anyway i have as well installed 3.5 liter engines in the interpids where a 2.7 use too live.
it was time consuming to say the least,the engine will bolt up you will need to.
replace the engine wireing harness,pcm,exhaust, if the replacement has oil cooler lines.
the radiator as well. dont forget the air intake and airbox. on the ones i have done
it also called for the repining of the engine harness to firewall connector.
Some of the pins that go to the bcm are differant between the 2 engines.
if you useing used parts get the vin from the donner.

it can be done it just took me a lot more time than I was prepared for. and i lost a lot of time.

one thing i need to say and i can only speak from experence in my state but if you have
epa laws on the books in your state which in indiana we dont have an inspection.
i would advise you to ck.. with your local officals. i ran into a problem where a state
inspector was stating the vehicals vin has passed for a 2.7 federal, if the power plant is changed
it needs to be recertified for the new power plant. ie any engine i installed say it had a 2.7
then i install a 3.5 if they bring back the inspection in indiana. the customer will have issues.
even if the power plant does run clean and pass a sniff test. for a 3.5

also dot for indiana has a portion where it asks if the engine and vin match.
some food for thought good luck man let me know if i can help
perfection-automotive.net

Return to “Dodge Cars”