1999 Dodge Caravan - Brake Pressure at Wheels

Specific repair issues for Dodge cars & FWD vans
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

1999 Dodge Caravan - Brake Pressure at Wheels

Post by Tim Martin »

What is normal brake pressure at the wheels for a 99 Dodge Caravan? I have a situation where I am needing to check brake pressure and am not finding brake pressure specs. They are available for the proportioning valve. Is it safe to assume that they are the same out at he wheel?
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: Brake Pressure at Wheels

Post by steven kiser »

The prop valve controls the speed of the pressure not the pressure itself. I believe any pressure control is done by the abs valve. I'll look into the pressutre specs and get back to you.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

The issue this vehicle is having is that randomly the right front wheel will develop a vibration issue. After that, there will be alot of brake dust on the wheel cover. The brake pads are much more worn down on the right as opposed to the left. We have in the past installed new loaded caliper and brake hose on the right side with no change. No brake lights ever come on in the dash. No pulling to one side or another when brakes are applied, even when trying to do a panic stop. Could a proportioning valve create this? Or do we have another issue?
mopwrforme
200 Club: Major Contributor
200 Club: Major Contributor

Post by mopwrforme »

pascals law states fluid preasure in a confind area, is equal threw out the area ,so yes the presures on the frt calapers should be the same, this system is a diagonaly split system if your frt right is haveing problems
I would also ck. the left rear wheel cyl. we had issues with them leaking and causing a chatter or vibration.

Its kinda odd you dont have any brake pull. you would if your preasures werent right, also you posted that
you have replaced the frt calapers and hoses did they come with new mounting brackets if not ck. for
groves in the bracket which will intermitantly cause the pads to stick. there should be dual fixed perportioning
valves on that van. which one would perportion the f/r and l/r. the other would be the f/l r/r.

I have yet to replace a perportioning valve on one of these van. also the rear shoes at the leading edge of the
shoe needs to be chamfered not squair. that as well will cause a vibration good luck tim ill ck back later 8) 8) 8)
perfection-automotive.net

Return to “Dodge Cars”