Re: 1998 Chrysler Sebring Conv - 2.5L VIN H Runs Bad

Post by Tim Martin »

No more air bubbles in fuel system
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

Ah. Good. That was certainly going to be a problem at some point, just not the one you were looking for.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Post by Tim Martin »

In all my life i think this has been the biggest challenge I have seen so far as it relates to fixing cars. A tremendous source of frustration. Sheer frustration, that is. This one is taking stupid to a new level I have not seen before.
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

As a vehicle ages, it tends to accumulate problems, many problems. Some exhibit symptoms, some do not. Some combine with other problems to exhibit symptoms. It can be very daunting to wade through all of the muck to get to the other side. Without of VERY understanding customer, it's rarely profitable.

I got a customer the other day from another shop because the other shop didn't work on anything older than 2002. I thought that was rather extreme and was able to help the new customer. But on reflection, it didn't seem like a bad idea in theory. I might start employing the practice. Maybe not rigidly but at least with the policy in the back of my mind.

One of the tool truck guys referred a guy who was a friend of a boy friend of a friend of his daughters, or something like that. 98 Chevy pu that had no power. I had it diag'd in 15 minutes as it felt lean to me and fuel pressure confirmed. That simple fuel pump job turned into a 1600 dollar job because of the condition of the vehicle. Understanding customer= profit. If he was not= towed out of here. We got lucky.

I'd rather make profit on a solid plan rather than luck. (wow, I sound like Steve today)
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

There have been a few vehicles with what seemed like timed or temp issues where I've hooked up a scanner and watched what changes as problem is resolved
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

Well, thankfully the owner is a good customer and understands the complexity of electronics on todays vehicles. Were it not for that, it would be easy to have tossed this one soon after it came in the door. I do not mind getting vehicles that have been to other shops before I see them however I ask them for the whole story, not just part of it. And, i usually will call the other shops that have seen a vehicle before I do.

So far as being choosy with regards to what we work on, the only ones I typically do not work on are the ones where my instinct tells me that I probably will not get paid.

Return to “Dodge Cars”