2010 Town & Country - Key Will Not Turn Off

Specific repair issues for Dodge cars & FWD vans
Goose
50 Club: Regular Contributor

2010 Town & Country - Key Will Not Turn Off

Post by Goose »

Town and Country came in and I can't remove the key from the ignition. I did hook up my scanner and it indicates that it is seeing that the transmission is in park. Was not able to get any other data on the WIN module with the solus scanner. I also got the customers extra key and held it next to the switch thinking that the key I had may have a dead battery and that did not help. I am seeing that the key is transmitting a signal according to the scanner. Any one had any common issues with these?
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Re: 2010 Town & Country - Key Will Not Turn Off

Post by brianp87 »

I think there is a recall for this
Goose

Post by Goose »

I did find a recall but it was for the key going from the on position to the accessory position. Only one I found. It did not mention the key not going to the off position and not being able to remove the key. It is possible there is on that Mitchell does not have yet.
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

This is fairly common among Chrysler/Jeep vehicles. Most of the time it's the interlock system. I believe yours uses a switch on the shifter to tell the WINS module it's in park. I believe the PID reads Gated Park Switch. It would be very helpful if you had a scanner to read WINS data. You can manually check the switch if you have to. Sometimes it's the module, but usually the interlock. You'll need to find a way to eliminate the switch.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
Goose

Post by Goose »

Well, The van is fixed. :D I installed a WIN Module and everything was fine until the keys were programmed. After programming the key would not shut off. I forgot to mention earlier that the customer filled the WIN Module full of WD40. :roll: He must have had this problem for a while. When I asked him about it he played dumb :? but when I removed it it was full od lubricant. Anyway we found that the spring in the shifter was not allowing the detent to fully engage the micro switch. The switch is not sold seperately and you have to purchase the entire shifter assembly. All works well. I am not very impressed with the quality of this unit. Only has 40k on the clock. This is not the first premature failure on this van.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

I believe you can purchase the clip through Dorman. We've gotten parts for the columns through dorman when the dealer version is non serviceable. I've down loaded all the dorman catalogues and we've found it extremely useful. The pictures are fantastic and we've been able to purchase transmission and fuel lines by the picture only. This has been great because even though a specific line isn't manufactured we can get one almost identical and with a little bend here and there it looks oem and fits like a glove.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “Dodge Cars”