2012 Dodge Journey - 5th TPMS On Spare?

Specific repair issues for Dodge cars & FWD vans
advanced motors

2012 Dodge Journey - 5th TPMS On Spare?

Post by advanced motors »

I have a customer that has a 2012 Dodge Journey that has a full size spare tire and rim to match the original rims. The customer would like to put a TPM Sensor in this spare tire if in the case of needing to put the spare tire on the TPMS light will not illuminate. Will the Dodge Journey with independent tire monitoring be able to read and understand a fifth sensor?
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2012 Dodge Journey - 5th TPMS On Spare?

Post by steven kiser »

From what I read it looks like the system uses a drive cycle to program the sensor.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

According to my Bartec tool, the vehicle only has the capability of learning 4 sensors, so it would likely not be able to bring on a fifth one when the spare is put on. The Bartec teaches the id's through the OBD connector.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

b.Once the vehicle has remained stationary for more than 20 minutes, drive vehicle for a minimum of 10 minutes while maintaining a continuous speed above 15 mph (24 km/h). During this time, the system will learn the new sensor ID. This is part of the TPM Diagnostic Verification Test

When I read this I thought It was a drive to learn process therefore putting the spare on with a new sensor would work. The down side would be the system not being able to process it if it's only able to manage four sensors like Ric pointed out. It probably would work when the tire that goes flat is at the shop being repaired. However when it's returned the 5th sensor issue will come into play. If these are motion activated sensors it still may work but I couldn't get that information. There is as far as I can tell a relearn procedure when a rotation is done so again it seems like it's a drive to learn. Wow I feel I put way to much thought into this question :lol:
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
ricmorin

Post by ricmorin »

Yeah, information on these is sometimes less than clear. In many occurances with TPMS, the try-it-and-see approach is needed. ugh

What your quote is missing the step 'a'. In step 'a', you program the sensor to the WIN module. This requires a tool of some sort. So from what I can tell, if you simply swap the spare over, the WIN module will not recognize the new sensor.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders

Return to “Dodge Cars”