1997 Ford Contour - Erratic Idle With A/C On

Specific repair issues for Ford cars & FWD vans
wheelz
25 Club: Starting Contributor

1997 Ford Contour - Erratic Idle With A/C On

Post by wheelz »

When the a/c is turned on the idle should go up some, but this car goes up and down only when in gear if the car is in park or neutral the idle is just fine. When the a/c is off the idle is fine in gear. I have not found any vac leaks, have cleaned the throttel plate and check air in let. does any one have any ideas on this that would be great.
Wheelz
JBUTITTA
50 Club: Regular Contributor
50 Club: Regular Contributor

Re: 97 CONTOUR ERRATIC IDLE WITH A/C ON

Post by JBUTITTA »

had a focus in yesterday with the same symptoms. found body grounds near battery corroded. cleaned the grounds and all was fine. identifix also mentions several cases where battery had been replaced and a ground was left off. hth. jerry
wheelz

Re: 1997 Ford Contour - Erratic Idle With A/C On

Post by wheelz »

checked all grounds by battery they are clean and tight. Also checked a/c pressures and they look good. Low side at 30 high side at 250 with about 72 deg temp outside today.
Wheelz
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

check and see if someone has bent the idle tab. if some rocket scientist has tried to bend it to raise the idle it will roam.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
wheelz

Post by wheelz »

Sorry for the delay but the customer did not have any more time and took the car, after I told him that it would only do it with the a/c on. After that I got busy and did not have time to respond. I will try not to do that to you thanks anyway.
Wheelz

Return to “Ford Cars”