2001 Lincoln LS - 3.9L Charging Issues

Specific repair issues for Ford cars & FWD vans
dfastrack

Re: 2001 Lincoln LS - 3.9L Charging Issues

Post by dfastrack »

well hope you had a great turkey day!!!! made a little progress on this buggy.with the following this dis-connected,current draw stops.TRUNK RELAY SSP 002- SSP004 now in the front pass kick panel we have 2 harness that are plugged in via 10 mill bolt--the lower of those 2 is dis-connected.now i also have the relay for the fog lamps out( under hood fuse panel) when i go to put it in---it kicks on the fog lamps,weird!!! so with those dis-connected no draw. i am just a little concerned with that fog lamp thing that just makes no sense to me,well anyway i close by thanking you again for your time. oh and by the way plugging in any of those item dis-connected will draw down battery
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

i think this is getting over complicated. have you tried bridging between the cable and post to test for a draw?
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
dfastrack

Post by dfastrack »

hey steve i am in a real bind!!!! if ya could give me some direction one more time--i would sure be thankfull---as stated i dis-connected the those 2 relays in the trunk 002 and 004 and the lower harness in the front kick panel ----needed the rack back--hooked everything back up and the instrument cluster says CHECK FUEL COMPUTER i did not run a test light against anything!!! just dis-connected items that i thought could be the cause and re-connected them--car wont start--dash indicator claims CHECK FUEL COMPUTOR.I have obviously no fuel pressure.i did the security thing--still no response.this is our first one of these lincolns,we have no info on these,wonder what i will discover first--the KFC reciepe or this lincoln.met my match!!! and i did,nt just roll off the roof!! man i hate to beg but sometimes,well a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do---thanks steve---to make pefectly clear!! i ran no test lights on dis-connected components.----------CAN --U---SEND ME A LIFE SAVER!!! LOL!!----YEAH LAUGH IT UP--LOL!!! SHIP THIS DAM THING UP TO YOU!!!---THANKS AGAIN STEVE.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

if you were connecting leads with the key on and the amp draw was as high as you've stated you may have spiked the pcm. try turning the key on for 10 minutes, turn it off for 10 minutes. do this three times and if it's a pass key issue it may relearn. depending on what scanner you use you may be able to command fuel pump on. with the scanner hooked up are you getting a tach signal? i'm thinking spike here. sorry man..........on a upbeat here, the pcm may have been the issue all along.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

don't want to preach here but this is one of the reasons i bridge the post and cable with a test light. it allows any capacitor to maintain a charge and won't pull a heavy load or discharge, blowing a module. these frigging ls's are so full of gadgets. it makes some electrical issues head bangers. what's deceiving is that they will pull a heavy load when the battery is connected for about 5 or 10 seconds to boot up then drop down to the kam level. you may be chasing that draw. at this point if the relearn won't help you're going to have to use a star scanner (ford oem) or burn it. i've given that option more than a passing though a time or two. just fantasizing about it gave me a renewed outlook and i was able to resolve the issue. on occasion you can't see the forest through the trees. keep a pen and pad on your night stand. i think you're at the point where you're going to wake up with the answer in the middle of the night and if you don't write it down will forget in the morning. now that will really piss you off. :lol:
Stellers Garage
50 Club: Regular Contributor
50 Club: Regular Contributor

Post by Stellers Garage »

I didnt see if you installed an OE alt. We have seen many problems on fords with aftermarket alt installed. The pcm controled alt cause weird problems. If you have someone in the area with a IDS you can see what the pcm is doing and alt output as well. You can also check all codes in the vehicle, more so than a standard scanner.
dfastrack

Post by dfastrack »

hey thanks,i will try those ideas,got behind on some other stuff so gotta get caught up.i am thinkin is pcm too--to many weird things going on to be just one circuit shorted.hey i,ve got the pcm location right behind glove box door but think it comes out through engine compartment.appears have to take all the fresh air stuff off to get to it.well thanks again!!!! keep ya posted when i get more

Return to “Ford Cars”