1997 Lincoln Mark VIII - Anti-Theft Module

Specific repair issues for Ford cars & FWD vans
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII - Anti-Theft Module

Post by steven kiser »

Buddy of mine that owns a body shop dad called from Florida with an issue with the immobilizer. I can't remember for the life of me if the system can be shut down or if a used module can be programmed to read newer keys?
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
steven kiser

Re: 1997 Lincoln Mark VIII - Anti-Theft Module

Post by steven kiser »

Gee, I was hoping for something here. After all the times I've replied trying to help (usually causing bigger issues :lol: ) I didn't even get a screw you Steve. :lol: :lol: I know this is a tough one since Ford Motor Company decided to tie the P.C.M., digital dash, and B.C.M., into the Anti Theft module. A few years earlier you could drop the glove compartment and just unplug the damn thing. Just joking about the lack of help. I know it would be there if possible. Direct hit and IATN was no help and I was hoping someone on the Forum had screwed around with this before.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Im no help here sorry.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

thanks man. just knowing someone cares about me is all I really need. :)
Rich
4K Ultra Amazing Contributor

Post by Rich »

Screw you Steve
Rich Hays
Work 9-11 or 616-696-0020
Being able to get CAPE off a Skew T chart is important in this hobby.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

From the heart man. Short, Sweet and to the point.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

lol funny being that old I think there would be a way to by pass the antitheft system
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

That's what I was thinking until I really got into it. Apparently Ford Motor Company tied everything together. If you fut the key near a magnet or have a gps anywhere near the ignition it can / will screw it up.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Hmmm had a cavalier some body shop hacked up the wiring in the dash and after pulling the diagram was able to just by-a** the theft system...........
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

I agree that there must be a way but this is the era of "Fords better ideas" . This is tied into the digital dash and since it's there it's also tied into the body control module. The other thing I learned is this particular system uses wifi. The key reader is tied into the lighting module somehow and it transmits to a receiver that feeds the anti theft module. The module then activates the lighting and dash cluster and then when all systems are go allows it to start. All this sounded so unbelievable I really jumped into this and from what I read it's either dead on or pretty close. There aren't many tech's that are willing to talk about this particular vehicle because it brings back nightmares. The new issue with the surviving Lincolns of this era is if you have a g.p.s. attached to the dash it will effect the anti theft. Put you keys on the counter at a store where the magnetic reader is you're screwed, they go through airport security or any security system that uses magnetic waves you guessed it, screwed again. Anything magnetic that it the key gets near often messes things up. My best guess is the frequency used back then has started being used in other non vehicle applications. Something Ford should have thought about. I don't know if there are frequencies legally reserved for the auto manufactures but there should be. I need Scotty to solve this but he's on a mission in the far reaches of the galaxy. I have one more service writer I know and am trying to get a hold of him. This will probably be a wasted lunch but he may know of some old timer that salted away what I need.
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Post by brianp87 »

Does the antitheft cut off the fuel pump or what problem are they having with the anti theft. Just trying to get an idea of the problem they are having and looking for possible work arounds.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

This particular issue is a complete kill. Ignition, fuel, no crank. I've looked everywhere and spoke to all my contacts with the same result of zippo. Ford tied this into everything including the digital dash.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Ok just a thought or two.

1. Have you rebooted?
2. Call tech support.
Rich Hays
Work 9-11 or 616-696-0020
Being able to get CAPE off a Skew T chart is important in this hobby.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

It's not a program issue per say. There is a transmitter in a module under the dash that's tied into the key reader. This transmits to a receiver that feeds the anti theft module and it allows the car to start. The receiver is also responsible for opening the trunk, doors, remote start, interior lights and I believe a vehicle locator program such as flashing lights or a horn prompt. It's one of Fords Better Ideas. At this point I feel like I did enough investigation so he won't feel I blew him off. I'll try one or two more people I thought of and after that I've pretty much exhausted my effort.

Return to “Ford Cars”