Old Dog New Tricks

Specific repair issues for Ford cars & FWD vans
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Old Dog New Tricks

Post by steven kiser »

We had a Ford Taurus in the shop with a blown A/C compressor and customer wanted it taken out and a by pass installed. We had to drain the P/S pump, can't remember the reason but we did and it gave the patented Ford Growl. It started puking fluid and loosing the assist. My lead tech said he read somewhere about a vacuum process needed in these situations. I had never heard of it and just fluffed it off. I bled the system like I always did and it didn't help one bit. I looked up this procedure but added my twist to it. Instead of using a hand vacuum pump I adapted an old cooling system vacuum pump we used before I purchased a newer ine that would do more. I followed the directions to the letter. Basically is was running the vehicle for 1/2 an hour with a vacuum in the reservoir. I turned the wheel side to side like instructed. During the 1/2 hour I could actually hear growling going slowly away and it finally stopped completely. Like I said, I never, never, never had heard or read about this procedure but now I have a set up made and in it's own little tool box so now I can just grab it and pump the noise away..............................Hope this helps someone r I just may be the last tech out of the cave into the light. :D :D
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Sauvageaus
300 Club: Superstar Contributor

Re: Old Dog New Tricks

Post by Sauvageaus »

Don't those make you feel good when you make a tool or something to do the job better?
Many years ago my dad made/designed some sort of tool for a specific job. Few years ago this company comes in wanting to show this tool and say how awesome it is. My dad looks at it and says I've had one for 20 years and the guy said there's no way you do it was just made and started being sold. My dad walked back to his tool box and showed him the tool and the guys draw dropped and didn't believe what he saw. Just to see the guys reaction was quite funny.
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Post by Tim Martin »

We have a saying here that says "Necessity is the mother of invention". We have quite a pile of modified tools that we have made through the years. When a tool needs modifed or made, the torch, welder, and the lathe come in mighty handy.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

My tech's still watch in awe as I "fabricate" I can just look at what needs to be done, go to my drawer of specialty tools and either rework one of them or grab a wrench or something else I've picked up at garage sales, flea markets, or off of the street and go to work. This is the stuff my dreams are made of. I really just like to make something with my hands that's productive.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
asample

Post by asample »

Another way, which we use, is to tap into engine vacuum and just let it run occasionally turning the steering wheel. Have been doing this for a lot of years. \
One time a friend of mine bought a 1958 T-Bird from a car lot that I was very familiar with and the ps pump was noisy. The dealer agreed to replace the pump. I was unable to get the noise to go away. My research turned up, from an old timer, on a forum that he added a tablespoon or 2 of STP to the fluid. I thought nothing ventured nothing gained. That took care of the noise.Just another one of those little things that you never forget.
Arlin G. Sample
Automotive Services of All Sorts, Inc.
Greeley, CO 80631
970-352-5598
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

I just saw and purchased a set of attachments for p/s pumps and will set up a repair kit with a vacuum pump and adapters. After it's all put together and ready to go I'll never run into this issue again.

Return to “Ford Cars”