2016 Ford Escape Trouble Code

Specific repair issues for Ford cars & FWD vans
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

2016 Ford Escape Trouble Code

Post by Tim Martin »

A 2016 Ford Escape SE with VIN 1FMCU0G7XGUA25779 came in for state inspection. It failed emissions test due to a P2610. In looking through MOD, IATN, and Identifix, I am not finding this code nor any assistance in addressing it. It's true that this vehicle is still under warranty but I am wondering what the code is, and can I simply erase it, go on an OBDII drive cycle to reset the emissions monitors and get it to pass?
nickscarcare
750 Club: World Class Contributor

Re: 2016 Ford Escape Trouble Code

Post by nickscarcare »

P2610 is a ECM/PCM Internal Engine Off Timer Performance timer. Code P2610 is an indication that the ECM/PCM cannot detect how long the engine has been turned off and this is needed to complete a drive cycle for the internal test monitors. This may cause the monitors to not get completed and this will fail the vehicle emissions. It has to do with the ECM not being able to detect if the engine off time. It will fail emissions, because it can not complete a drive cycle. Sometimes there is a bulletin for ECM reprogramming. Check freeze frame to see if you can tell when it sets, and conditions. Clear the codes and see if it sets in 2 key cycles. You can check to see if the key power turns off to the ECM with the key cycle.
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com
Tim Martin

Post by Tim Martin »

nickscarcare wrote:P2610 is a ECM/PCM Internal Engine Off Timer Performance timer. Code P2610 is an indication that the ECM/PCM cannot detect how long the engine has been turned off and this is needed to complete a drive cycle for the internal test monitors. This may cause the monitors to not get completed and this will fail the vehicle emissions. It has to do with the ECM not being able to detect if the engine off time. It will fail emissions, because it can not complete a drive cycle. Sometimes there is a bulletin for ECM reprogramming. Check freeze frame to see if you can tell when it sets, and conditions. Clear the codes and see if it sets in 2 key cycles. You can check to see if the key power turns off to the ECM with the key cycle.
This is great info. Thanks. I suppose what I probably will do is to check PCM memory, erase code and see if it returns. However in the event it needs reprogramming (which I can do) or even PCM replacement, this vehicle is under warranty. So, the dealer will likely get the job.
nickscarcare

Post by nickscarcare »

I came across this once recently, yes that one too went to dealer under warranty, so I do not know the fix. That one would reset in the 2 key cycles.
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know why I look this way. I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.

507-345-6425
http://www.nickscarcare.com

Return to “Ford Cars”