2007 Merc Montego - Charging Problem

Specific repair issues for Ford cars & FWD vans
Holly
25 Club: Starting Contributor

2007 Merc Montego - Charging Problem

Post by Holly »

Customer works at an electrical shop which rebuilds alts and starters. He checked his own alternator on the vehicle and it was not charging. He brought it to us to check the alternater again along with the computer system.

Had bad grounds on alternator, cleaned them. Still no charge. Pulled alt off and sent to elec shop. Found bad ground connections inside. Repaired, but MOST of the time it does not charge. Computer code is PO622 which is field circuit?

Anyone seen this problem? Any ideas??
onetonf350
50 Club: Regular Contributor
50 Club: Regular Contributor

Re: 2007 Merc Montego - Charging Problem

Post by onetonf350 »

Seams like you might be picking up pieces of his mistake somewhere along the line.
Just like the guy her today that is (his own mechanic), but wants us to do headgaskets on a 1995 - 237K nissan V6 that runs just fine right now. Some jobs are a set up!
He's not telling you the whole story. (ps)... I turned down the Nissan job.
Chris Page
Can I get a little bit more of "ME" in the monitor?
503-622-3330
http://www.mthoodautoandtire.com
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

i'm tending to agree with the point of he's looking for a * to blame. he probably spiked the pcm trying to jump the alternator. another point here is the grounds. there had to be a surge involved here somewhere. look at the battery lugs. if there is any sign of melting that may point to operator malfunction. i would also look at any ground points within the reach of the negative cable. he may be smart enough to do it properly and attach ground secondly and away from the battery. i've seen some real flash burns on brackets before. if there are any "flash" points tell the customer, rocket scientist, or the s.o.b. that's trying to stuff his error up your breezeway to call his insurance company and try to file a claim. i had one come in where many of the ground wires in the harnesses were melted at the plug and diodes were trashed. i've had a few vehicles that were effected by lightning strikes and this looked like one of those.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
92zman
200 Club: Major Contributor
200 Club: Major Contributor

Post by 92zman »

Would go though and recheck all powers and grounds and wires and connotors and if all is good would tell him to try a new alt. Have had some that where rebuilt and never right.
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

another point here, i've had a few fords that the only reman that worked was from the dealer. don't know why, it just was. i tried after market new with negative results and put in a reman o.e.m and it's been fine.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Holly
25 Club: Starting Contributor

Post by Holly »

Customer took vehicle back to place they purchased it from.....will let you know if I hear the outcome.

Return to “Ford Cars”