1990 Ford Taurus - AC Retrofit

Specific repair issues for Ford cars & FWD vans
gale
50 Club: Regular Contributor
50 Club: Regular Contributor

1990 Ford Taurus - AC Retrofit

Post by gale »

Does anybody know of another AC retrofit fitting for the lower pressure hose for this 1990 Ford Taurus? It only lists one parts number only that fits almost everything but it is too large for the hose the thread size is 1/4" - we are totally baffled, have never ran into this before.

Gale
Tim Martin
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor
2.5K Uber Ninja Contributor

Re: 1990 Ford Taurus

Post by Tim Martin »

Well, I do alot of AC work and through the retrofit years did numerous Taurus models. To date, I have not seen any model vehicle that could not be changed over. So, what you are saying, if I am understanding you right is that the retrofit fitting you want to install does not fit?

I just looked in my stock and there is two part numbers I use. Four Seasons # 59981 is a 90 degree low side fitting and # 59976 is a straight fitting. Both are 1/4" which to my knowledge is the only size used on the low (suction) side.

Ahhhh wait a minute. Just as I am about to close my post I am remembering that there was some vehicles that came through with more than one service port on the low side. Was this one of them? I am not quite sure. Be sure an check the entire low side line from evaporator back to the compressor.
liljoe
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Re: 1990 Ford Taurus - AC Retrofit

Post by liljoe »

I think this was one of those with an extra fitting that was used for factory fill only, it looks like the high side fitting and is on the low side line in a nice easy to get to place. The correct fitting goes on the accumulator to the best of my rememberances....
Working hard to prove the Green Team can do it with the best of 'em.
Always remember: AIN'T NO FREE LUNCHES!!
Am I the Only One?- I don't think I am.
The further a society retreats from the truth, the more it hates those who speak it. George Orwell.

Return to “Ford Cars”