1993 Ford Mustang LX - Steering Rack

Specific repair issues for Ford cars & FWD vans
mtkauto

1993 Ford Mustang LX - Steering Rack

Post by mtkauto »

I had a very unusual request from a customer to remove the P/S rack and replace with a manual one today. This car is a 1993 Mustang LX with a 2.3 l motor, manual transmission. Any suggestions first as to why, and second, what should I put in it and from where would I get it? Not usually something I would get into, but it is a good customer...
brianp87
3K Time Lord Contributor
3K Time Lord Contributor

Re: 1993 Mustang LX Steering Rack

Post by brianp87 »

I wouldnt even know were to begin. Was it an option for that model? If so Id try to find a donor vehicle from a salvage yard and then purchase new pump and gear box.
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

From my experience (and extensive Kelley Blue Book collection), the 1993 base model Mustang 4-2.3L only came with P/S as std equipment so it's a moot point.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer
mopwrforme
200 Club: Major Contributor
200 Club: Major Contributor

Post by mopwrforme »

i have had a request in the past to convert a honda civic from pwr. too manual steering. the customer was of the opinion that the weight savings would make him go faster in the 1/4 mile?????????????? he had a ton of money in this little racer it was a simple operation he supplied the parts. but i am with you on this one why a 2.3 4cyl. coleman.com has plenty of aftermarket racks you can have one made to custom fit anything. very pricey good luck 8) 8) 8)
perfection-automotive.net
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by ricmorin »

Any suggestions first as to why?
This is a question I would ask the customer.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
steven kiser

Re: 1993 Ford Mustang LX - Steering Rack

Post by steven kiser »

someone has been researching on the internet. they are thinking that they have a 5.0 and will gain a few seconds on the track. the lx was considered a chic car and manual was never offered. what is the whole plan for this car? is the customer (or idiot) planning to juice this up? if so please explain to them you can't turn a 1/4 pounder into a rib eye. the suspension will not support it and the engine bay will need modification. believe the standard transmission was an option strictly because people felt they could control the mileage better. if the customer pushed it i believe the tempo will be a suitable donor car. you should throw in a case of spinach, cob pipe, and sailor hat. :lol: :lol: :lol: got so much to say on this post that the words are just swimming around and i can't put them in proper alignment................
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Return to “Ford Cars”