1962 Lincoln Continental Steering

Specific repair issues for Ford cars & FWD vans
Stewart Levy
100 Club: Active Contributor
100 Club: Active Contributor

1962 Lincoln Continental Steering

Post by Stewart Levy »

OK I let it in(stupid is as Stupid Dose!)
Owner shows with Reman pump You of us that know the pump is driven by the crankshaft. Says that three other mechanics have told him the pump is the problem.
Symtom when turning the steering wheel it makes a poping noise from the pump like the pressure relief valve spring is shot. The steering wheel jerks as you turn and the valve is letting off pressure. Stupid me dosent hook up my pressure gage to the pump to see what pressure the pump on the car is making (dum idiot) . I tell the teck install owners suplied pump. Well guess what that pump wont pump at idle and now the wiper are driven by pump also wont shut off. If you idle up to 1200 rpm the pump starts to work and the wipers go faster! So I call this guy who sold the pump to the owner in Calf and he says that he dosen't work on them he only sells the parts. But! have I checked the filter in the reservior. So the top comes off. The can is as clean as can be and we pull the hose to the inlet of the pump and it flows without any restriction. Check the outlet hose and can blow throught it with no problems. Then he tells me that they had a problem with the hoses at times with internal colapsing so pull all the hoses and blow through them. NO restrictions. So now Iv'e gone through a case of type F fluid . The call gets made by the owner of the car that he feels that the reman pump is no good. Still has same problem but now can't turn the whel till you rev up the car. Pluss the wiper wont stop! they do stop when you try to turn the wheel at idle. I feel that this pump is worse than what we took off. The supplier wants both pumps to send to his rebuilder that will tie up a lift for two weeks and I don't think this will solve the problem. There is nothing on the internet about this and now thier are few real classic mechanics for this system . ARE thier any old Lincoln front end guys out there?
Stewart 954-763-5506

P.S. The steering wheels turns as smoth as could be no bad ball joint and and tie rods are like new. Wheels swing smoothly on turn plates. HELP!!!
If they don't know how can they fix it!

Return to “Ford Cars”