2002 Mercury Mountaineer - 4.6L Trans Problem

Specific repair issues for Ford cars & FWD vans
MCONROY90

2002 Mercury Mountaineer - 4.6L Trans Problem

Post by MCONROY90 »

I HAVE A 2002 MERCURY MOUNTAINEER 4.6L V8. THE CUSTOMER SAID THAT THE CHECK TRANS LIGHT WAS COMING ON AND THE OVERDRIVE LIGHT WAS FLASHING.

I DROVE THE CAR AND SAW THAT IT WAS DOING JUST THAT. IT HAD CODE PO741 IN IT WHICH STATED THE TORQUE CONVERTER WAS SLIPPING. I FOUND THE TORQUE CONVERTER WAS MAKING A LOT OF NOISE SO THE REMOVED AND REPLACED IT. IT DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING IT STILL MADE NOISE. I ALSO REPLACED THE TURBINE SPEED SENSOR. I DROVE THE CAR IT RAN SMOOTH STILL MADE TE CONVERTER NOISE BUT NO DRIVING OR SLIPPING PROBLEMS. THE LIGHT STILL KEEPS COMING ON WITH THE SAME CODE. SO I CHECKED THE OVERDRIVE SERVO AND ALL GOOD. SO AFTER HAVING THE TRANS OUT FOR THE THIRD TIME I COULDNT FIGURE IT OUT AND CALLED A BUDDY AT FORD TO SEE WHATS UP. I BROUGHT IT TO HIM AND HE PUT THERE SCAN TOOL ON IT. HE TOLD ME ITS THE SOLENOID PACK SO I REPLACED THAT AND DROVE IT OVER THE WEEKEND. IT DROVE BEAUTIFUL SMOOTH AS CAN BE BUT STILL THE LIGHT CAME BACK ON AND THE OVERDRIVE LIGHT CAME BACK ON. IT SEEMS TO ONLY HAPPEN THOUGH WHEN IM GOING 50MPH OR MORE.

ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT IT COULD BE?
Jeff @ Able Auto
1500 Club Master Plus Contributor

Re: 2002 Mercury Mountaineer - 4.6L Trans Problem

Post by Jeff @ Able Auto »

I would watch the scanner for torque convertor lock up and rpm output at input and output speed sensors. That will tell ya if the convertor is in fact going into lock-up. Sounds like the ecm is commanding lock up and not seeing rpm drop.
Jeff Fitzgerald - retired
Treasure Coast of Florida
"there will be enough time to sleep when we're dead"
steven kiser
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Post by steven kiser »

what are the codes? i'm thinking you don't have a scanner that communicates with the vehicle. if i'm correct it's like trying to figure the landing sight of a 22 cal bullet fired at night, during a tornado, blind folded. sorry if i sound demeaning but you really need the proper tools to diagnose and repair without rolling the dice.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

there is a tech bulletin on this involving a wiring harness update. there is a mention of a certain code reappearing.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
MCONROY90

Post by MCONROY90 »

I HAVE THE SNAP ON VERDICT AND IT COMMUNICATES FINE WITH THE CAR THE CODE IS PO741 (TORQUE CONVERTER SLIPPAGE DETECTED).
Jeff @ Able Auto

Post by Jeff @ Able Auto »

OK...code P0471 is no convertor lock up OR convertor slip detected. At this point as I stated earlier I would monitor input and outout speed sensors before and after lock-up. This will determie if you are actually getting lock-up. The ECM can command lock-up..question is "Is it happening?" If not then ya are gonna have to scope the inputs and outputs to see whats missing. The test seem pretty straight forward..just a matter on pinning down the culprit.
Jeff Fitzgerald - retired
Treasure Coast of Florida
"there will be enough time to sleep when we're dead"
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

jeff, i'm thinking you meant to type 741 not 471. i was scratching my head looking for that one. not that i ever transpose numbers. :lol: now back to the post. if you're typing caps because that's what you do then fine. if you're yelling at me because i asked about a scanner or code, why? usually it's a prudent move for the person that's having issues to supply those trying to help as much information as possible. if i offended you with the way i asked i apologize. i as well as all on the forum (especially tim) knows i can be a bit rough. again i apologize for the way i presented it, not the meaning of the post. i still feel it prudent to supply as much information. the code indicates a detected slip. it doesn't necessarily mean a converter issue. i don't think it's dropping in and out. you would have seen that on the scanner during the monitoring. a very common issue with these is the bands wear out and slip. another little thing i found out after banging mt head chasing a transmission issue akin to one like this, not as strong or a code issue but there was a surging issue at high speeds, there was one tire that didn't match the others. i'm not sure of the exact size but it was something like a 215 as opposed to a 225. another fall back i use often and have mentioned before, jasper engines and transmissions have a great group of tech's that will help you even if you haven't purchased anything from them. i have a cousin in the mid west that i finally convinced to call them and he couldn't believe how helpful they were and now he's a devoted customer. when you pulled the transmission was there any signs of metal in the pan? in these units it doesn't take much to determine a trashed unit. i've also run into issues where the valve body is loose or the filter is cracked or sucking air. good luck. i don't want to sound like a parts replacer but in the newer transmissions (last 10 years from what i'm experiencing) are like a module, it's a basic r&r.
MCONROY90

Post by MCONROY90 »

ACTUALLY THE OWNER OF THE SHOP ALWAYS WANTS THE CAP LOCK ON FOR WORK ORDERS SO ITS JUST ALWAYS ON. SORRY IF YOU THOUGHT I WAS GETTING MAD. THERE WAS NO METAL IN THE PAN AT ALL. THE NEW TORQUE CONVERTER MADE JUST AS MUCH NOISE AS THE OLD ONE DID SO THAT I DONT THINK IS THE PROBLEM. ILL LOOK INTO THE JASPER THING. THANKS.
fortknoxx

Post by fortknoxx »

did the flex plate show signs of scraping on either side?
T-N-T (Tina Nuse-Tolar)
Gone but not forgotten...Camper Bob's

609-760-7079 Cell
MCONROY90

Post by MCONROY90 »

NOPE THERE WAS NO SIGNS OF SCRAPING ON EITHER SIDE OF THE FLEX PLATE.
Stewart Levy
100 Club: Active Contributor
100 Club: Active Contributor

Post by Stewart Levy »

How much noise and dose it get worse with rpm? Also is it bad enough for the knock sensor to comand a retard of the t iming?
If they don't know how can they fix it!

Return to “Ford Cars”