2006 Ford Fusion SE - Reprogram PCM?

Specific repair issues for Ford cars & FWD vans
aatechs

2006 Ford Fusion SE - Reprogram PCM?

Post by aatechs »

I have a 2006 ford fusion se we changed the pcm with a used one. Do we need to reprogram the new computer and then reprogram the keys?
ricmorin
5K Holy Smokes Contributor

Re: 2006 Ford Fusion SE - Reprogram PCM?

Post by ricmorin »

The short answer is maybe. There are two areas of programming, the VID block and the vehicle calibration. You could get lucky with a used unit, but the VIN won't match and may generate a code. Programming is always part of my installation strategy, new or used.

With keys, the PCM needs to be programmed first. Then the keys would be learned. You usually need at least 2 keys to carry out this procedure.
Ric Morin - Volunteer Forum Moderator, Shop Owner, ASE Master L1
Motorcar Alternatives, LLC
603-622-6434 x203
www.motorcaralternatives.com

I find my life is a lot easier when I use Special Orders
steven kiser

Post by steven kiser »

As far as I know two keys are essential. On some applications the relearn procedure consists of leaving the key on for three 20 minute intervals. Other times you either need the Ford Star scanner or have the dealer do it.

A quick tip here is even if the used pcm works mark and shelf the original one. I will save them for as long as the customer owns the car. They don't take up much room and I usuall only have 10 - 20 in the storage room. The basic reason I do this is one time I threw one out or maybe sold it to a rebuilder and the used one crapped out, couldn't fine another so I had to get a new one and didn't have the ability to down load the old one and program the new one. I've even had remans with ghost programs still in tem.
never argue with a fool, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
timbre4
System Guru / Moderator
System Guru / Moderator

Post by timbre4 »

Since this fellow is brand new to the forum, I sent an email that he had replies.
Tim McDonnell -
Sr. Product Market Mgr / Forum Moderator / Mitchell 1 Media Developer

Return to “Ford Cars”